Admit, you want to be sneaky. However, the sound that your Apple iPhone camera makes when it takes photos is loud and disturbing. Fret not; you can silence the camera shutter sound on your iPhone with these tips.
Table of Contents
Use Volume Down
- Use the “Volume Down” button to toggle the phone volume down to the vibrate setting.
We ought to mention that Japan made it illegal to silence the shutter sound, so method 1 & 2 won’t work in Japan or on iPhones made for the Japan market.
Disable Shutter Sound via Ringer & Alerts
- Go to “Settings.“
- Now, slide the “Ringer and Alerts” setting all the way to the left.
Now you can take photos with the iPhone camera in silence, without hearing that shutter sound effect when you snap a picture.
Use Music App Hack
Another method that works with iOS 7, iOS 8, iOS 9, and newer, and doesn’t depend on the Mute switch, involves using the music app. Here’s how it works:
- Open the Music app and start playing a song. (Preferably a Mariah Carey song).
- Now use the volume buttons on the side of the iPhone and turn the song volume all the way down to 0.
- Now use the Camera app as normal, which will now take photos silently.
For Jailbreak Users
- Download and install iPhoneBrowser.
- Create a ‘dummy’ file on your computer called “photoShutter.caf“.
- Make it using notepad or another notepad-like app.
- Using iPhoneBrowser, navigate to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds.
- Replace the photoShutter.caf file with the ‘dummy’ file you created.