Veigar is an AP champion that normally plays mid. He has high burst potential and an area of effect stun. In this article, we discuss how to effectively counter Veigar.
Best Veigar Counters
Veigar Counter Picks
Now that you know who counters Veigar, you can finally counter pick Veigar in any matchup. Let’s take you through some tips on how to use a few of these champions who are counters to Veigar. After, there is a general section explaining how to use any LoL champion as counters for Veigar. After all, if you know how to play against Veigar, you can play safely and effectively to defeat Veigar in a lane.
When the game goes on you will want to save your E for its ability to pop projectiles rather than its damage. Veigar’s ultimate will hurt like hell regardless of how he did in lane so it is a priority that you avoid it.
Neither of your dashes will bypass his stun without getting stunned yourself so don’t hop over it thinking you are free of its effect.
Because Ryze has a lot of utility he can escape Veigar’s stun also Ryze builds mana not AP so he takes less damage from Veigar’s ultimate plus Ryze can deny movement because of his W.
Riftwalk should be used in abnormal ways and angles so that Veigar cannot become used to a set pattern upon which to deploy Event Horizon during engagements.
Harass him as much as you can before he hits level 6, and ask for a very early gank. At level 1 he never gets E first so you can force a flash or even get a kill.
You cannot jump away from his E without getting stunned. However, avoid his W while trapped inside.
Tips For Playing Against Veigar
- Veigar’s stun field will only stun targets around the edge. So you can either stay inside the ring or Flash out of it.
- Try to avoid Dark Matter as it deals massive damage when it lands.
- Try to bait out the stun, without it, Veigar is a lot more vulnerable. But be wary of the burst of his Q-R combo.
during the laning phase will deny him from farming ability power from last-hitting minions with his as he is fairly squishy and weak at early game.
- This is important because if is allowed to farm and get items and ability power, his combo will be lethal late-game, being able to instantly kill almost ANY champion. The only champions who can survive his combo are bruisers and tanks with a lot of health and magic resistance, and even then, it will take more than half of their health, leaving them low enough for any ally to pick them off.
- Unlike other champions with stats that can increase infinitely, such as and , Veigar is built with items that leave him very squishy himself. Due to this, it is imperative to avoid being stunned by ; if you dodge it, burst Veigar down.
- Although deals massive damage, it has a considerable delay before it lands. Use this to avoid the spell.
- Keep in mind that although will interrupt dashes, it will not s, top dashes and abilities that explicitly state it is unstoppable, such as ‘s , ‘s , and ‘s . Along with Paranoia and , they serve as one of the best counters to shut down when coordinated as a team.
- If the wall of misses you during placement, avoid walking into the wall as it will still stun you for the full duration.
- Pay attention to cooldowns. If Veigar uses or (or both), this is where he is the most vulnerable. Take the opportunity to kill him as fast as possible.
- Always be on the move in the late game against a , as the cooldown on can be extremely low.
- A common mistake amongst mages is to build
when laning against Veigar when they should build instead. While the extra damage will be missed due to not having magic penetration, the extra magic resist and tenacity are helpful due to . The sooner you get rid of the stun, the better chances you have to survive Veigar’s combo.
- In fact, it is recommended to build on any champion on your team if there is a Veigar on the enemy team, as it will decrease the chances of him being able to land his mortal spell combo.
- As a purely combo based mage, buying a
is an excellent way to counter him as it essentially negates one of his spells, making him unable to initially unleash a full combo upon you.
- A is a cheaper but no less useful alternative, primarily as you can negate the stun from at will and thus avoid the standard follow-up, .
- If is giving you a hard time in the early game if you are AP, try rushing a and build it into a as he will no longer be able to successfully harass you until he has his . Champions like with a naturally high magic resist have the advantage over .
- If you are AD, is the option to build.
- Be careful while building a team consisting of attack damage builds, as can counter that by asking one of his teammates to play a champion that punishes attack damage heavy builds such as or .
- The majority of damage output is magic damage, hence items such as will mitigate his damage output by a large margin. also negates one of his spells, which is vital, since Veigar is a combo-based champion.
- can leave allied champions completely immune to Veigar’s combo, making somewhat of an indirect counter to him. But if Veigar decides to focus Kayle herself, if she is stunned by , she can’t cast on herself and will fall to his spells just like any other AP champion.
- Becoming Untargetable can save you from a burst combo. Spells like
and can prevent taking damage from burst combo.
- Champions like and can use their spell shields to avoid being stunned by and will be able to out-duel .
- A high crowd control champion, such as can use their CC to keep from contributing to fights with his abilities and prevent him from getting free AP with the passive of .
By using the champions who counter Veigar and the LoL Veigar counter tips above, you can now develop a strategy to help you, as a summoner, become an effective counter to Veigar players.