Vel’Koz, another tentacle monster, is an AP mid lane champion that has a high potential for burst damage. In this article, we discuss how to effectively counter Vel’Koz.
Best Vel’Koz Counters
Vel’Koz Counter Picks
Now that you know who counters Vel’Koz, you can finally counter pick Vel’Koz in any matchup. Let’s take you through some tips on how to use a few of these champions who are counters to Vel’Koz. After, there is a general section explaining how to use any LoL champion as counters for Vel’Koz. After all, if you know how to play against Vel’Koz, you can play safely and effectively to defeat Vel’Koz in a lane.
Vel’Koz has 4 skill shots, 2 of which are very difficult to land. Use your E to avoid Vel’Koz skill shots when amongst minions and when engaging with him in lane, E to the minions first and save the E on him to dodge his knock up.
Windwall will block Vel’Koz Q/W/E which are telegraphed and slow projectiles but it will not block his ultimate or auto attacks.
- If Vel’Koz strays too close you should always use Q to engage instead of E so that you can save E for dodging all of his numerous skill shots.
- When Vel’Koz ults, don’t reactivate your E so you stay up for as long as possible to avoid the laser, it is channeled for 2.5 seconds.
- When dueling him your Q and E are both very reliable dodging abilities against him so you can basically outplay him when you jump on him relatively easily. Just make sure you have 1 available to dodge his knockback.
Tips For Playing Against Vel’Koz
- Vel’Koz has a kit consisting of 4 skill shots making him very vulnerable to champions with dashes.
- Save your heavy CC to interrupt his Lifeform Disintegration Ray. It hits heavily and can be the difference between winning and losing team fights.
- A lot of Vel’Koz’ damage is applied by his passive which applies true damage. Thus, stacking MR against him is less effective than against other magic damage casters. Try to wait out stacks applied beforehand before engaging.
- Vel’koz is among the squishiest champions in the game and has no dashes, blinks or other reliable escapes. This, and his likeliness to push lanes makes him an inviting target for ganks.
- range is his best defense, but all of his abilities are skill shots and he lacks mobility and disengage. Therefore, high mobility assassins such as , , and can make it difficult for him.
- is a high burst damage champion due to the true damage procs from his passive and especially his Ult. Silences and hard CC can interrupt his combo and give you time to retaliate or escape.
- His makes magic resist not as effective against him. Purchasing health items or getting early can help you avoid his damage.
is very powerful, but he turns slowly and cannot move while it is active. It can be best avoided by walking around or getting behind him.
- Be aware of position in team fights as a fully channeled can decimate your entire team.
- Remember that can keep up his passive stacks with his auto attacks. Try to avoid getting hit by him until the stacks disappear.
- Watch to see if misses and is out of position. As this is his only hard CC, it is an opportune time to engage with him and possibly kill him.
- Try to keep track of the number of times is used at once. The recharge rate is long early on and can leave with only two basic abilities to retaliate against you.
- must combo his abilities together quickly for maximum burst. A well-timed can cause his entire combo to miss and leave him completely open to attack.
By using the champions who counter Vel’Koz and the LoL Vel’Koz counter tips above, you can now develop a strategy to help you, as a summoner, become an effective counter to Vel’Koz players.