Master Yi is an annoying (low-elo), high engage, quick on his feet, high damage, attack speed champion in League of Legends. In this article, we discuss how to effectively counter Master Yi.
Best Master Yi Counters
Master Yi Counter Picks
Now that you know who counters Master Yi, you can finally counter pick Master Yi in any matchup. Let’s take you through some tips on how to use a few of these champions who are counters to Master Yi. After, there is a general section explaining how to use any LoL champion as counters for Master Yi. After all, if you know how to play against Master Yi, you can play safely and effectively to defeat Master Yi in a lane.
Jax’s E can block a lot of Master Yi’s damage. Also, the stun is really strong at interrupting Yi. Jax wins trades with Master Yi well.
Get Thornmail. Max Rammus’ W. Use your taunt on Yi. He basically takes more damage than he can dish out.
Use Teemo’s Q to blind Master Yi and then use your AP and Attack Speed to finish him off. It’s an easy counter in every lane.
Master Yi’s damage is based on basic attacks (except Alpha Strike), so Pantheon can stop him due to his stun on W (Aegis of Zeonia), but you can harass him with Q too. If played well, Pantheon can easily counter Master Yi.
Tips For Playing Against Master Yi
- Although Master Yi cannot be slowed during his ultimate, he can still be disabled.
- It’s good to pick a champion with a disable (silence/stun/knock-up/displacements) so that you can stop Master Yi from casting his Meditate.
- Avoid fight him while low in health, lest he receives resets on his cooldowns for scoring a kill.
- If Yi is doing lots of damage in short periods of time, consider getting Thornmail.
- If you’re playing someone with an escape like Zed or Leblanc when Yi is ganking and you’re close to a turret, consider baiting out his Alpha Strike and then jumping under your turret range so he takes turret hits.
- Or, if possible, save your escape until after Master Yi has used his Alpha Strike(Q) since he will just use it to catch back up to you otherwise. (or follow you with it).
- It is recommended to use point-click or otherwise easy to land hard crowd control since Yi is able to dodge skill shots by using . Knockups are preferred because Master Yi is unable to counter them with tenacity or .
- Unlike other auto-attack reliant champions, attack speed slows are generally inefficient against Master Yi because he becomes completely immune to them when under the effects of (it makes him immune to every sort of slow, including movement AND attack speed slows). They can be efficient if is on cooldown, however.
- Master Yi is a difficult champion to outduel. Between his ability to outplay enemies with
, reduce incoming damage with , deal true damage with , and the bonus attack speed and immunity to slows gained by , Master Yi is a force to be reckoned with in 1×1 situations. Avoid dueling him if possible.
- On the other hand, Master Yi generally fares poorly in team fights, especially when building full damage, because he is squishy and vulnerable to hard CC.
By using the champions who counter Master Yi and the LoL Master Yi counter tips above, you can now develop a strategy to help you, as a summoner, become an effective counter to Master Yi players.