Leona is a tanky support champion that uses stuns and slows to gain the upper hand on enemies. In this article, we discuss how to effectively counter Leona on Summoner’s Rift.
Best Leona Counters
Leona Counter Picks
Now that you know who counters Leona, you can finally counter pick Leona in any matchup. Let’s take you through some tips on how to use a few of these champions who are counters to Leona. After, there is a general section explaining how to use any LoL champion as counters for Leona. After all, if you know how to play against Leona, you can play safely and effectively to defeat Leona in a lane.
Always be ready with your Black Trigger to counter her Solar Flare. Stopping her from engaging with it on you or your ADC will pretty much stop the engage entirely.
There’s a small time frame after Zenith Blade that you can use Lulu’s Polymorph to prevent her from following up on her combo, use this to your advantage.
As Alistar when a Leona grabs on to you or an ally you can knock Leona away from her target, in lane versus a Leona make sure you have your counter engage readily available. Also, you can get her out of position with your Q+W.
Use Thresh’s Flay (E) at the moment Leona sends her Zenith Blade (E) to bump her back, canceling her spell and avoiding her from getting close to you or your ADC.
Make sure to work with your jungler and take advantage of Thresh’s lantern for ganks. The lantern will make it much easier for your junlger to engage/initiate. Champions with gap closers like Vi work well.
Tips For Playing Against Leona
- If Leona activates her Eclipse, it means she’s about to engage. Be prepared to counter her engage or avoid it.
- Whenever you can, harass Leona/ADC when she misses her Q (stun).
- Only the center of Leona’s ultimate stuns, and it can easily be dodged with proper reaction.
- Leona’s passive allows her teammates to do more damage to anyone she hits with any ability, but she herself can’t activate that passive, so staying away from her teammates when her passive is on you, you’ll receive less damage.
- Leona’s E, the root/pull, can be interrupted by certain abilities (ex. Thresh’s flay, Vayne’s condemn, Lee Sin’s kick).
- Leona can easily be kited after she uses her
- Leona’s has a small stun radius, so it can be easily avoided
- If you are caught by Leona from her , you have a brief moment to Flash away before she can land her .
- Leona’s has a short cooldown, reaching down to 33 seconds. When fighting her, always assume she has one ready.
- If possible, try to focus other team members. , being a tank, can absorb loads of damage, increased even more by , but can deal lock on one target at max with her and .
By using the champions who counter Leona and the LoL Leona counter tips above, you can now develop a strategy to help you, as a summoner, become an effective counter to Leona players.