Garen is a formidable top lane tank/fighter champion in League of Legends. He has high sustain due to his passive health regeneration and good lane harass due to his silence and damage output. In this article, we go through ways on how to counter Garen on Summoner’s Rift.
Best Garen Counters
Garen Counter Picks
Now that you know who counters Garen, you can finally counter pick Garen in any matchup. Let’s take you through some tips on how to use a few of these champions who are counters to Garen. After, there is a general section explaining how to use any LoL champion as counters for Garen. After all, if you know how to play against Garen, you can play safely and effectively to defeat Garen in a lane.
After Level 3 Garen cannot farm at all. Spears stop Garen from regenerating and Aegis makes Decisive Strike deal no damage. If he tries to wave clear with Judgment, attack him with Heartseeker Strike.
Poke him whenever you can, and when he approaches you to Q and silence you, Blind him before he strikes so you avoid getting damaged. Beware of his Q, as it will purge your shrooms’ slows.
As Darius, you can either start Doran’s Blade or Cloth. Your damage output is higher than Garen’s when his W is on cooldown. You counter his passive with your passive and R, and the passive E armor penetration pierces through some of his free stat boosts.
Garen’s only engage is his Q, You can escape it with Gnar’s E. He will have a difficult time against you. You deny farm, escape all his attacks and also Escape ganks with your E. You outrange him, so you can easily poke him.
Jax’s Counter-Strike mitigates 25% of all AoE damage for its duration and still reduces enhanced auto attacks by Garen’s normal auto-attack damage. Save your E for until right before Garen engages with his QE combo, then fight while he spins.
Tips For Playing Against Garen
- Avoid staying in lane with low health, as Garen’s ultimate deals massive damage to a lower health target
- Try your best to keep your distance when fighting against Garen. His spin deals a ton of damage if he catches you with it.
- Poke him as much as you can to reduce the effects of his passive health regeneration.
- Garen suffers greatly from hard CC and high-mobility ranged champions (Teemo). Use this to your advantage when picking your champion.
- If you have any slows, try to keep them until Garen uses his Q, or the slow will be removed. Slowing/stunning him after he uses his Q will either help you escape or will help you catch up.
By using the champions who counter Garen and the LoL Garen counter tips above, you can now develop a strategy to help you, as a summoner, become an effective counter to Garen players.