Samsung Kies: Samsung Kies is a freeware software application used to communicate between Windows or Macintosh operating systems, and more recently-manufactured Samsung mobile phone and tablet computer devices, usually using a USB connection (though wireless LAN Kies connectivity is now possible using some devices). It is important to note that Samsung has released new software to replace Kies, which is named Samsung Smart Switch and mainly directed at migrating customers onto new Samsung devices. Via Wikipedia In short, Samsung Kies is Samsung's official tool for Android based devices which allows you to manage music and videos. If you have both a PC and a Samsung mobile device, it's an essential application to own. The latest version is Samsung Kies 3.
What is the use of Samsung Kies?
- What is the use of Samsung Kies?
- What is Kies air and how does it work?
- How to Backup Samsung using Kies
- How to Restore a Backup from Kies
- Video: How to Backup and Restore Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime using Samsung KIES 3
- Use Samsung Kies to update Android firmware.
- Video: Samsung Galaxy S5 - Updating your firmware with Samsung Kies
- Transfer Contacts to New Samsung Phone with Kies
- How to Sync Music, Photos, Videos with Samsung Kies
- How to Sync Contacts and Calendars with Samsung Kies
- Transfer Contacts to Samsung Device
Samsung Kies is Samsung's mobile PC software and it allows for updating Samsung's line of Android handheld devices like the Galaxy S4 & Galaxy S5 & Galaxy Note 4 devices. Samsung Kies can also be used to sync music, videos, photos and your contact list between computers and Android smartphones & tablets. The Kies software can also update your device's firmware to the latest version of the Android OS provided that it is compatible. Recently, Samsung released the Samsung Smart Switch App which replaces the Kies application. There is also the stand alone Kies Air.
What is Kies air and how does it work?
How to Backup Samsung using Kies
- After installing Kies (Windows | Mac) on your computer, connect your Samsung smartphone or tablet to your computer via a USB data cable.
- Confirm that Kies is connected to your Samsung device. Once connected, you'll see basic information about your device in the first tab.
- Click on the Backup/Restore tab and choose the items you want to backup, then scroll to the bottom of the window and click the Backup button.
- Wait for your backup to finish, then click the Complete button.1
How to Restore a Backup from Kies
- In the Backup/Restore tab, scroll all the way to the bottom and click the Restore button. When you get the warning message about closing running applications, click Continue.
- Choose the backup file to restore, then click Next.
- Select the data you want to restore and make sure you want to restore the backup to your device. This is your last chance to back out of the restore. If you're sure you want to restore your data, click Next.
- Once the restore completes, you'll see a confirmation dialog box and your device will reboot.
Video: How to Backup and Restore Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime using Samsung KIES 3
AndroidHowTo: This video will show you how to backup and Restore Samsung Galaxy data using KIES 3. New Samsung galaxy using KIES3 and old Samsung Galaxy devices using Samsung KIES. With this Kies, you can update your Samsung Galaxy device if the update available. You can not update your Samsung galaxy device if the device is rooted.
Use Samsung Kies to update Android firmware.
- Connect Galaxy Phone to Kies
- Plug your Samsung device into the computer via USB cable. When the phone is successfully detected and connected, you will see the interface as below.
- Click "Firmware upgrade" button and start to upgrade according to the step-by-step instruction.
Note: In order to upgrade the firmware of a Samsung device, you need to make a connection between Kies and Samsung Galaxy handsets via USB. Wi-Fi connection is not supported.
- Follow the Guide to Complete Firmware Upgrade
- Read the advisory information, then, click the "I have read all of the above information" checkboxes and click the "Start upgrade" button to get started.
- Then, Samsung Kies will automatically download some firmware components for the upgrade.
- The firmware upgrade will begin as soon as the downloading of firmware component finishes. You can check how the upgrade goes from the process bar. When it completes, click "OK" to complete the process and disconnect your device.
Note: During the firmware upgrade process, do NOT disconnect the device to PC.
Video: Samsung Galaxy S5 - Updating your firmware with Samsung Kies
Magic Monk: This video shows you how to update your firmware with Samsung Kies. Warning: I cannot guarantee anything presented in this video will work for you and I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone if you follow this tutorial.
Transfer Contacts to New Samsung Phone with Kies
- Connect Two Samsung Phones via USB Cable. Launch Samsung Kies program, and connect two Galaxy devices to the computer via USB cable.
- Once they are successfully connected, information about the two handsets will appear on the left column of the main interface.
- Start Transferring Contacts in between Phones.
- In the main window, you can see three options, "Basic Information","Sync" and "Backup/Restore" at the top. Click the "Backup/Restore" and select "Transfer between devices".
- Tick "Contacts" item and hit the "Send" button.
- After a while, the transmission will end. Press "Complete" to finish the process. Then, you can check the contacts in your new Samsung Galaxy.
Note: To transfer other content, just select those items you need and press "send".
How to Sync Music, Photos, Videos with Samsung Kies
- Add Music, Photos and Videos to the Library. Run Samsung Kies, and select a data category. Take audio files as an example. Select "Music" in the Library column, and press the "+" button to add music files to the Library from the local folders. When successfully added, you can check the music in the Library. You can add photos or videos in the same way.
Note: If you've added the media files to the Library, do NOT move the files to other folders on the computer. Otherwise, it will display "File Not Exist", when you sync Samsung devices with Kies's Library. So, I suggest that you store all the music, photos, and videos files that you want to import in Library in one specific folder by categories.
- Sync Samsung Galaxy with Music, Photos, and Videos from Library: Plug your device in the computer. Once the device is successfully connected, click into the "Sync" panel at the top of the interface. Tick the items in the Multimedia section and hit the "Sync" button at the top-right corner. When the synchronization completes, you can check the files in your phone one by one.
How to Sync Contacts and Calendars with Samsung Kies
- Connect Galaxy Phone to Samsung Kies. Plug your phone into the computer. When it's successfully connected, click "Sync" button at the top of the main interface.
- Select Outlook Contacts and Start Synchronization. In the "Personal Information" section, choose the item "Sync contacts with Outlook". Finally, hit the "Sync" button at the top-right corner.
Note: You should make sure that information about contacts saved in outlook. And you can sync all the contacts info or just selectively sync those you need.
Apart from outlook, you can also sync and transfer contacts from Google account to your Samsung Galaxy devices in the same way. To sync calendar, just tick the option "Sync Calendar with Outlook/Google".
Transfer Contacts to Samsung Device
- Select all the contacts or just those you want, and click the button "Transfer to device" to get the synchronization started. When the process ends, you can check the contacts in your phone.
- Sync Contacts and Calendars with Samsung Kies is very simple and totally under your control. If this tutorial is helpful to you, just share it to those who are still finding ways to tackle this issue.
Do you know anything about Samsung Kies? If you do, let us know in the comments and we'd be sure to add your tips and tricks to the article. Thanks for reading: Samsung Kies PC Suite Download, Install, Updates, Tutorial.