How to Root Motorola Moto X Force running Android 6.0 Marshmallow? This guide is only for the Motorola X Force. You will need to root your Moto X Force by flashing the SuperSu file, provided below, by using the TWRP recovery, also provided. Here's what you need to do:
- Motorola Moto X Force, model no. XT1580
Root Moto X Force
You can use this method on smartphones running Marshmallow but, rest assured, it works on Lollipop as well. You also have to unlock your Moto X Force bootloader. There is a tutorial for that.
- Download SuperSU and
- TWRP recovery .
- Create a new folder and name it to something short and memorable, and transfer the two files, downloaded above, into it.
- Rename the TWRP recovery file to twrp.img — this makes it easy to enter commands when installing the boot and TWRP recovery below in this guide.
- Connect the Moto X Force to one of your computers, and transfer the SuperSU file to your Moto X Force. Remember the location of the file. Then disconnect the device from the PC.
- Install ADB and Fastboot drivers on your Windows PC.
- Boot your Moto X Force into bootloader mode. To this by:
- Power off the device. Then wait for 4-5 seconds after screen goes off.
- Press and hold Volume down + Power button together (for about 2-3 seconds) to enter bootloader mode. You will see FASTBOOT written at top.
- Now, open command window in the created folder, in which you have the modified boot and TWRP files. To do this:
- Open that folder created in the steps above and then left click on empty white space in the folder.
- Now, while holding shift key, right click on empty white space to get a pop-up as shown below.
- Now choose Open command window here option from that.
- You will see a command window open up, with location directed to the name of that folder.
- Test to verify that fastboot is working by running the following command.
Now, you should get a serial number with fastboot written after it. If you don’t get fastboot written on cmd window, then it means you need to reinstall adb and fastboot drivers, or change/restart your PC, or use the original USB cable that came with your Moto X Force.
Unlock Moto X Force Bootloader
Now, you need to unlock the Moto X Force Bootloader. Make sure your Moto X Force has it's bootloader unlocked. Skip this step if your device is already unlocked (check the Lock status at bottom of the screen in bootloader mode).
If your Moto X Force is bootloader locked, then do this to unlock the Moto X Force bootloader. This WILL DELETE everything on the Moto X Force. It will also restart after completing the steps:
- Run the following command,
fastboot oem unlock
- Now, look at Moto X Force's screen, press the Volume up button to choose Yes. (Upon doing this, your Moto X Force's apps and data will be deleted.)
→ Because unlocking the bootloader will delete everything on device, you will need to transfer the SuperSU file again (from the steps above) and then boot the Moto X Force into bootloader mode again.
Boot Moto X Force into Recovery Mode
Boot the Moto X Force into TWRP recovery now. Use the following command to achieve this:
fastboot boot twrp.img
(You have to use the recovery image’s filename in the above command, which in our case is twrp.img, from the steps outlined above. In case you want to install TWRP recovery permanently, then use the command fastboot flash recovery twrp.img and then run the above command to boot into recovery mode diectly.)
Install SuperSu on Moto X Force
- In order to root the Moto X Force. Install the SuperSU file now.
- In TWRP, tap on Install, and then select the SuperSU file. Next, do the swipe action at bottom of the screen to flash the SuperSU file.
- When done, tap on Reboot System button to restart the device.
That's it! You have successfully rooted the Moto X Force. Thanks for reading and remember, this guide works for both Lollipop 5.0 and above and Marshmallow 6.0.