IPv6 – What is IPv6? How to Disable IPv6? IPv6 stands for IPv6“>Internet Protocol Version 6. It is the upgraded version of Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4). According to Wikipedia, Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is the most recent version of the Internet Protocol (IP), the communications protocol that provides an identification and location system for computers on networks and routes traffic across the Internet. IPv6 was developed by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) to deal with the long-anticipated problem of IPv4 address exhaustion. IPv6 is intended to replace IPv4.
Table of Contents
Disable IPv6 via Network Adapter Properties
- Hold the Windows Key and Press R. Type ncpa.cpl and Click OK.
- Right click your network adapter and choose Properties.
- Uncheck “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)” and Click OK.
This will disable the IPv6 only for the adapter that you want to, if you wish to disable it for all other network adapters then follow the steps below.
Turn Off IPv6 via Registry Editor on All Network Adapters
- Click Start menu and type regedit in the search box.
- Alternatively, launch the Run dialogue box, type regedit and click OK.
- If the User Account Control dialog box appears, click Continue.
- In the registry editor, navigate to the following registry key.
- Double-click DisableComponent to change the entry.
Note: If you do not find the DisableComponent entry, then you must create the entry manually. In order to do this, do the following:
- In the Edit menu of the registry editor, click New and then click the DWORD (32-bit) value
- Type DisableComponent as the name then press Enter
- Double click the newly created entry to edit it.
0 = enable all IPv6 components, however, if you type the value 0ffffffff, it disables all Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) except the IPv6 loopback interface. This disables IPv6 on all interfaces after you perform a system reboot. If you wish to enable it later, edit the value and set it to 0.
Video: How to disable IPv6 in Windows 8 / 8.1
Video: How to Disable IPv6 in Windows 7
Video: How to disable IPV6 in Windows 10
Thank you for reading, IPv6 – What is IPv6? How to Disable IPv6? here on Orduh! If you have any problems or have any suggestions, then please feel free to leave us a comment below and we’d be sure to get back to you. This tutorial gives you a general idea on what exactly is the IPv6 internet protocol and its relation to IPv4. Please note that Microsoft discourages the disabling of the IPv6 functionality and you should only do so if you absolutely must.