The HTC One M9 recovery mode feature allows you to access a separate bootable partition on the Android device. From here you can install system updates and perform system repairs. These are the features of the default stock recovery one that comes preinstalled on your HTC device. This tutorial assumes that you’re running the stock ROM on your device.
By default, the stock recovery installed on the device does not have support for touchscreen functionality (although most devices are touchscreen). For This reason, you’ll have to utilize the Power and Volume buttons to navigate and execute the options in the recovery environment.
When it comes to knowing how to booting up the HTC One M9 recovery mode environment, there are several routes that you can take. Some require you to use the hardware (device buttons) and others require only software. Which ever method you choose , you’ll find the steps to perform the recovery mode boot up below.
HTC One M9 Recovery Mode Using Hardware Buttons
This is the easiest and safest way to boot your device into recovery mode. It only requires that you use the device buttons to access the feature. Take a look at the picture below to get a feel for how this works before you read the steps.
HTC One M9 Recovery Mode Walkthrough 1
- Power off your device and wait for 5-10 seconds until the device powers off completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Down button, then press the Power button to switch on your M9 and release it, but keep holding the Volume Down button.
└ This will boot your HTC One M9 into bootloader mode
- You’ll see a screen with the option to boot into Recovery Mode among several other options. Here, you will press the Volume down button three times to navigate to “BOOT TO RECOVERY MODE”, then press the Power button to select it and boot into Recovery mode.
└ In Bootloader and Recovery mode, use Volume buttons to navigate Up and Down between options and use the Power button to execute the actions.
Boot HTC One M9 Recovery Mode Using ADB
ADB (Android Debug Bridge) is the Android suite of apps that allow you to utilize terminal commands on your Android device through a computer command line. ADB does require some setting up before you can get started but it can help you boot the recovery mode feature quite efficiently. The best part is that it does not require you to use the hardware buttons (in case they are not working).
HTC One M9 Recovery Mode Walkthrough 2
The first thing you need are the ADB files. Also, ensure that your device has the latest drivers installed before proceeding.
- Extract the files in the ADB files.zip that you downloaded from the link above to a separate folder on your computer
- Now, get your phone ready by:
- Enabling developer options: Go to your phone’s Settings » select About phone » Scroll to the bottom and tap on “Build number” seven times to enable developer options
- Enabling USB Debugging: Open phone’s Settings » select Developer options » Tick the “USB debugging” checkbox (under Debugging section)
- Connect your phone to the computer with a USB cable and a pop-up screen should appear on the Phone asking you to ‘Allow USB debugging?’ for the computer, make sure you tick the checkbox and tap OK
Now, open the folder where the files are saved and execute the Boot into Recovery Mode.bat file by double clicking it. This will reboot your device into recovery mode.
└ If the script shows any error than that means either your device is not connected or you don’t have proper driver for your device installed on your computer.
The Boot into Recovery Mode.bat script uses the adb reboot recovery command to boot the device into recovery mode. If you’ve already setup ADB before hand and are comfortable using it then you can just enter the above command and load the recovery mode environment.
Boot into HTC One M9 Recovery Mode Using Quick Boot (Reboot) APP
This option utilizes an app to get the HTC One M9 to boot into recovery mode. You should be aware that the application requires that you have root access on your M9. It is rather faster than the above methods but not everyone has or wants root access on their devices. Nonetheless, here’s how to use the app.
HTC One M9 Recovery Mode Walkthrough 3
- Install the Quick Boot (Reboot) app from Play Store on your HTC One M9 | Play store link →
- Open the app and grant Root Access
- Select ‘Recovery‘ from the list of options and it’ll boot your device into recovery mode
That was quick! I know but that method requires root access. There you have it! Those are three ways that you can boot an HTC One M9 into recovery mode. Thanks for reading and let us know if you need help with anything or any of the steps.