Late last week, HTC began rolling out the Android 5.1 Lollipop update for the Verizon HTC One M9. Verizon’s official website has confirmed the that the update is ready to be pushed to users during the coming weeks. Verizon also went into detail on the features of that are to come with the latest update.
If the update, for some reason, has not been pushed to your M9 via OTA then you can try to force the device to update. Access your device’s Settings > About device > System update, and tap on the ‘check for update’ button to allow the phone to look for the OTA update. If after the procedure completes then you can manually download and install the update using the tutorial below.
Verizon HTC One M9 Android 5.1 Lollipop Update v2.6.605.15 Changelog:
- OS upgrade to Android L 5.1
- Factory reset protection: Lost or stolen devices will remain locked until you sign in with your Google account, even if reset to factory settings. Note: you must have a Google account on the device to automatically enable this feature and set a PIN, password or pattern screen lock
- Enabling LTE roaming
- Pre-loading Google Wallet
- Enabling Video calling
- Android Security Patch
Download Verizon HTC One M9 Android 5.1 Lollipop Update v2.6.605.15
- Android 5.1 OTA update — Link | File: VZWm9_2.6.605.15_OTAPkg.zip (788.5 MB)
Before you install
To be able to install the Android 5.1 update manually you must have the stock recovery on your HTC One M9. If you do then proceed and if not, this guide is not for you.
You should also note that this update is only for the following models:
- VERIZON HTC ONE M9
- Don’t try this on any other One M9 variant, like at T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint, etc.
- Don’t try to use this update on any other device other than the one stated in the title of this post!
Install Verizon HTC One M9 Android 5.1 Lollipop Update v2.6.605.15
- Download the Android 5.1 update file from above on your PC.
- Transfer the downloaded update file to your One M9. Remember its location. (You can also download the update directly onto your phone, in which case, it should be in download folder.)
- Boot your One M9 into recovery mode.
- Install the update. You will see 3e recovery which is the default/stock recovery for every Android device. Use the volume buttons to navigate to the ‘install update’ option and then press the power button to select it.
- Now, select the update file that you transferred to One M9 in step 2 above. Confirm your selection and the Android 5.1 update will be installed on your device.
- The update will start installing, so just wait until that is finished. When it’s done, you will be back in the recovery’s homescreen. Select ‘Reboot system now’ to restart your One M9.
After the device reboots, you will now have access to the newly updated OS on your HTC One M9 (Verizon Variant). You can enjoy all the new features and customize the device to your liking. If you need any help, let us know in the comments.