Acer Iconia Tab A500 Hard Reset: Learn how to hard reset yourAcer Iconia Tab A500 if it is not responding to commands. A hard reset will revert the device to factory default settings. While the Acer Iconia Tab A500 is a good device. There are some things that haven't improved and it also has its fair share of software/hardware problems. The following steps will help you hard reset your ACER ICONIA TAB A500 but before you do so, here are some things you should know or would like to know beforehand.
What is a Factory Data Reset?
- What is a Factory Data Reset?
- What is a Hard Reset?
- If I do a factory reset on my Acer Iconia Tab A500 will it erase the data on my SD card?
- What gets deleted during a hard reset?
- If I do a factory reset will I lose pictures saved on my Acer Iconia Tab A500?
- If I do a hard reset will I lose my text messages saved on my Acer Iconia Tab A500?
- If I perform a hard reset will I lose music downloaded on my One Acer Iconia Tab A500?
- If I do a factory reset will I lose the contacts saved on my Acer Iconia Tab A500?
- If I do a factory reset will I lose my apps?
- Will I lose app data such as points or levels from a game if I perform a hard reset on my Acer Iconia Tab A500?
- Video: Acer Iconia Tab A500 Factory Reset
- Will a hard reset affect the software on my Acer Iconia Tab A500?
- Will I have to update my Acer Iconia Tab A500 again if I perform a Factory Data Reset?
- If I do a factory reset will it unroot my Acer Iconia Tab A500?
- Will a hard reset remove my Acer Iconia Tab A500 unlock pattern?
- If I reset my Acer Iconia Tab A500 will it remove a virus?
- If I factory reset will I lose my service?
- Will I lose my wireless plan?
- How To Hard Reset Acer Iconia Tab A500 Step By Step Tutorial
- Will a hard reset re-lock an unlocked Acer Iconia Tab A500?
- Will a factory reset delete my voicemail messages?
- If I reset my Acer Iconia Tab A500 will I lose my number?
- How can I backup my Acer Iconia Tab A500 before doing a hard reset?
- How to perform a factory data reset on Acer Iconia Tab A500?
- Hard Reset from Settings
- Hard Reset from Startup
- How to hard reset a frozen or unresponsive Acer Iconia Tab A500
- How to do a simulated battery pull on an Acer Iconia Tab A500?
- How to hard reset a locked Acer Iconia Tab A500?
A factory data reset or factory reset is a type of hard reset which removes information from your Acer Iconia Tab A500. The steps herein can be used to hard reset Acer Iconia Tab A500
What is a Hard Reset?
A hard reset is a tool used to remove, erase, or delete all user data from a cell phone. It removes all imported, installed, or added information and reverts the Acer Iconia Tab A500 to the factory default settings. There are many types of resets available for smartphones some of which erase information from the cell phone such as the Hard Reset, Factory Data Reset, Master Resets, etc. while other resets such as a Soft Reset, or a Second Level Reset, etc. do not affect or erase data from the device.
If I do a factory reset on my Acer Iconia Tab A500 will it erase the data on my SD card?
This is one of the most frequently asked questions concerning factory data resets. By default, a hard reset WILL NOT erase or remove the information saved on your external memory card. It is important to know however that when performing a hard reset, depending on the device that you are using, options to format the SD card which WILL erase the data saved on your device's external storage do exist.
This option, when available, is typically not selected by default but when available and you do not want to erase your memory card during the reset make sure that the option to do so is not selected. If you don’t see this option, then your SD card in your Acer Iconia Tab A500 will not be touched during the factory reset.
As an extra precaution, however, you can always remove the SD card from the device, and then perform the hard reset. With the memory card removed from the phone during the hard reset there will be no chance of losing any data.
What gets deleted during a hard reset?
All user data and custom settings will get erased from the Acer Iconia Tab A500 after performing a factory reset. Basically, everything added to the ACER ICONIA TAB A500's internal storage that did not originally come preinstalled on the device will be deleted.
If I do a factory reset will I lose pictures saved on my Acer Iconia Tab A500?
Yes, any and all pictures that you have taken with your camera or any images saved on the phone's internal storage will be erased after performing a hard reset. Be sure to export your images to a computer or memory card prior to performing the hard reset.
If I do a hard reset will I lose my text messages saved on my Acer Iconia Tab A500?
Yes, all text message threads, both sent and received will be erased when performing a hard reset. Messages can be difficult to backup by default. If you have important text messages on your phone that you need to save before performing a reset then check out How to backup and save text messages on an Android phone for some suggestions.
If I perform a hard reset will I lose music downloaded on my One Acer Iconia Tab A500?
Yes, any music that you have downloaded to your phone's internal storage or have uploaded from a computer will be erased from the phone's internal storage. Make sure to copy any important music or audio files to a computer or memory card before performing a reset.
If I do a factory reset will I lose the contacts saved on my Acer Iconia Tab A500?
Yes… any contacts saved to the phone will be erased. Luckily Android smartphones create a backup contact list to the primary Gmail account associated with the phone and contacts are often automatically backed up online by default. You can learn how to back up your contacts here.
If I do a factory reset will I lose my apps?
Yes, and No. Any applications that came preinstalled on your Acer Iconia Tab A500 will remain on your smartphone as clean and fresh installs with their default settings. So, for example, Android phones come with a Camera application by default. After performing a hard reset on the device the phone is still going to have a Camera application but any customization such as custom settings to the camera will be lost. So if you had turned on the Flash to be used for every picture taken, or had adjusted the default resolution, or changed the size that you wanted your pictures saved as, or changed the save location of your media taken with the camera, or the camera's zoom settings, or focus, etc. these settings will all be reset to default.
Any third party applications that did not originally come on the device, such as applications from the Android Play Store (formerly the Android Marketplace) will be removed from the phone's storage.
Will I lose app data such as points or levels from a game if I perform a hard reset on my Acer Iconia Tab A500?
If information such as points, coins, unlocked levels, unlocked characters, rewards, tokens, etc. are saved to your phone's internal storage then a factory reset will cause that data to be lost. It depends on how the application was written when it was developed.
If the application saves your app data online or onto your memory card (external storage) as opposed to the phone's internal storage, then your apps information and data will be safe. If this is the case, you WILL have to re-download the application onto your phone after the reset but once it's downloaded apps will often search an existing memory card for preexisting information and restore it to the app automatically. If the information was stored online, then you may have to log onto an account to regain access to the apps information but it should restore as well.
It all depends on the application in question and how well it was written. If you are concerned about losing data for an app then before hard resetting your Acer Iconia Tab A500 you need to contact the app developer directly to ask whether or not you need to back up the information, if so, how to back up the information and most importantly how to restore the information after the reset.
Video: Acer Iconia Tab A500 Factory Reset
Is your Acer Iconia a500 not working correctly or you can't get into the log in screen? I will show you how to fix this problem with a hard reset. Please note this will erase all user data, but will get you up and running again by setting your device to factory settings. I will show you the entire process on restoring the tablet. I will also place a link to another one of my videos to show you what happens when you do the reset incorrectly.
Will a hard reset affect the software on my Acer Iconia Tab A500?
Although a factory reset will put the phone's settings back to their factory default it will not technically put the phones software back to the original software that it was released with. The software and OS (Operating System) will not be directly affected by a hard reset.
Will I have to update my Acer Iconia Tab A500 again if I perform a Factory Data Reset?
No, the software on your ACER ICONIA TAB A500 device will remain the same and will be same Android version that it was before the reset. A hard reset will not touch the OS or its current version of Android.
So for example: If you purchased a Acer Iconia Tab A500 that originally operated on Android 4.4 KitKat, and you updated your phone to Android 5.0 lollipop and then needed to perform a hard reset. After performing the reset, the phone would still be running on the latest version of the software.
If I do a factory reset will it unroot my Acer Iconia Tab A500?
No, it will not unroot or remove any custom ROM or software changes made to the phone. If you install a custom OS and want to remove it from the phone you will have to reinstall another custom OS, which may include the original Operating System. A hard reset will not remove a custom OS and will not change the device back to the originally installed software.
If an error occurs during the rooting or flashing process and your device begins to have issues or is not functioning correctly, then a hard reset will not typically solve that problem either. You can however often fix such issues by re-attempting what you were trying to do originally
USE CAUTION when changing the software on your Android device. A hard reset isn’t always the best solution in those types of circumstances.
Will a hard reset remove my Acer Iconia Tab A500 unlock pattern?
Yes, your phone reverts like new and you need to set up the security features on your phone once again. Including the creation of a new unlock pattern.
If I reset my Acer Iconia Tab A500 will it remove a virus?
Yes, factory/hard reset will erase viruses. Since a hard reset erases everything added to the device, factory resetting your ACER ICONIA TAB A500 is one of the best ways to get rid of a virus or an unwanted app and can wipe out most types of undesirable software or content that has found its way onto your device.
If I factory reset will I lose my service?
No, no service issues should occur when doing a factory reset. In fact, some service issues can even be fixed by performing a hard reset.
Will I lose my wireless plan?
No, your plan and all of that type of information is stored by your wireless service provider and it doesn’t reside on your phone. A hard reset will not affect your wireless plan or wireless contract.
How To Hard Reset Acer Iconia Tab A500 Step By Step Tutorial
Will a hard reset re-lock an unlocked Acer Iconia Tab A500?
If your Acer Iconia Tab A500 has been unlocked so that it can connect to and use the service of a different wireless carrier than it was originally intended for then a factory data reset should not re-lock the phone.
Note: if for some reason your cell phone doesn’t seem to want to connect to your wireless carrier like it did before performing a hard reset then reboot the phone and try again. If it still has issues, then you can use the same unlock code that was used to unlock the phone originally.
Will a factory reset delete my voicemail messages?
Standard voicemails are stored by your wireless service provider and don’t get saved to your phone's storage or its memory card. As such voicemails should not be affected when performing a hard reset on your cell phone.
If I reset my Acer Iconia Tab A500 will I lose my number?
You will not lose your personal phone number by performing a hard reset on your cell phone. As mentioned above, you may need to create a backup of your address book if you don’t want to lose other people's numbers.
How can I backup my Acer Iconia Tab A500 before doing a hard reset?
Since a hard reset erases everything from the phone's storage you are probably going to want to back up much of your information before performing the reset. If you would like some tips to do this then I suggest reading How to Backup and Reset an Android smartphone for some additional information and suggestions.
How to perform a factory data reset on Acer Iconia Tab A500?
There are actually a few ways that you can perform a hard reset on an ACER ICONIA TAB A500. One of the best methods is to perform a factory data reset through your phone's settings.
Hard Reset from Settings
- Open “Settings “.
- Choose “Backup & reset “.
- If desired, select the option to “Erase SD card “.
- Select “Reset phone “.
- Select “OK “.
Hard Reset from Startup
- Power off the tablet.
- Press and hold the Volume up button.
- With the Volume up button held, press and hold the Power button for 3 seconds then release it. Continue holding the Volume up button.
- Once the tablet vibrates, switch the touch screen lock switch on and off repeatedly while still holding the Volume up button.
- Release the Volume up button and stop switching the touch screen lock switch once the "Erasing Userdata..." message appears in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Once the factory reset has been completed your tablet will load to the welcome screen.
- Your factory data reset is complete. Now follow the onscreen steps to setup your tablet.
How to hard reset a frozen or unresponsive Acer Iconia Tab A500
If your Acer Iconia Tab A500 is not responding and you cannot access the factory data reset option through the phone's settings, then there are still some options available. Before turning to a hard reset as the solution make sure that you try to restart the phone.
If the phone will not restart or if a restart doesn’t resolve the problem then if possible try to remove the battery from the phone while the phone is powered on, wait 10 seconds and then reinsert the battery, turn on the phone and see if it helped. If your device does not have a removable battery, then try performing a simulated battery pull.
How to do a simulated battery pull on an Acer Iconia Tab A500?
- Step 1: Make sure that the power is completely off. Make sure that the phone is not plugged into a charger either. Note: if the keys on the bottom of the device are lit then the phone is on, if there aren’t any lights showing or lit up then don’t worry about whether your phone is on or off, simply go ahead to step 2.
- Step 2: Hold the Volume Down button and then the power button and continue to hold these 2 keys for 20 secs (count out loud it could take 15-30 sec).
- Step 3: The phone should power cycle, powering back on to full.
- Step 1: Make sure the power is completely off and that the phone is NOT plugged into a charger.
- Step 2: This time instead of the Volume Down key use the Volume Up key. Hold the Volume Up and the Power key simultaneously for 20 seconds and see if anything pops up on the screen.
- Step 3: Release the Volume Up and Power keys if/when you get a response.
- Step 4: If you get some options then use the volume down key to cycle through your choices. Look for an option to restart or reboot. (don’t do the wipe data/factory reset option… yet… that’s kind of a last resort)
- Step 4: Once selected use the power key to execute.
- Step 5: The ACER ICONIA TAB A500 should reboot.
How to hard reset a locked Acer Iconia Tab A500?
If your phone is locked and you cannot access the phone's content much less its settings, then performing a factory reset through the settings is not going to be an option. Most Android phones will allow you to perform a hard reset on the device by accessing an Android recovery menu and selecting a “Wipe data/factory reset” option.
The methods used to access this Android Recovery menu or Fastboot menu will depend on the make and model of Android device as well its current version of Android. You can try the following combinations on your Acer Iconia Tab A500 until one works. Each new number (#) is a new method, moving from 1 through to 4:
- When the ACER ICONIA TAB A500 is powered off, press and hold the Volume Up and the Volume Down keys both at the same time, then press and hold the Power key until a test screen that shows some available options appears, usually takes about 15-20 seconds. When that screen pops up you can let go of the keys.
Press the Volume Down key to navigate down through the options until it highlights FACTORY RESET then press the Power key to select it.
- Power the phone off all the way, press and hold the Volume Down Key and press then release the Power key, still holding the volume down key for about 10-15 seconds. When you see some additional options pop up on the screen you can let go of the keys.
Press the Volume Down key to navigate down through the options until it highlights the reset option; it usually says FACTORY RESET, then press the Power key to make the selection.
- While powered off, press and hold the Home Key, while continuing to hold the home key power the device on by pressing the Power key.
Once the Android Recovery screen appears release the Home key, then while on the Android Recovery screen, press the Volume Up and Volume Down keys both at the same time.
If/when you’re on the Acer Iconia Tab A500 System Recovery screen release all the keys, and then use the Volume down key to navigate down to the “wipe date/factory reset” option. Once it’s highlighted press the Power key to select it.
Once you see the “Confirm wipe of all user data?” Press the Volume down key to highlight “Yes—delete all user data”, then press the Power key to select it.
- Power the device off, then press and hold the Home key and press and release the Power key (while still holding the Home key).
From the Acer Iconia Tab A500 Recovery screen, press the Search key.
Tap to select wipe data/factory reset then select Ok (located in the lower left of the screen). Note: if screen is not responsive use the Volume keys to scroll and the Camera key to select.
- Select Yes – delete all user data, and then select OK (again lower left).
- Select “reboot system now” and press OK.
There you have it. All the possible ways to go about performing a full factory/hard reset on any Acer Iconia Tab A500 device. If you know of any other way to factory reset the device then do let me know so that I can add it to the list. Thanks for reading this rather long yet informative post on: How to Hard Reset the Acer Iconia Tab A500. Acer Iconia Tab A500 Hard Reset: Learn how to hard reset Acer Iconia Tab A500.