Pantheon is a fighter champion that can play in the jungle, top lane or mid lane. He has good harass and a stun. He also has a passive shield that blocks incoming damage. In this article, we explain how to effectively counter Pantheon on Summoner’s Rift.
Best Pantheon Counters
Pantheon Counter Picks
Now that you know who counters Pantheon, you can finally counter pick Pantheon in any matchup. Let’s take you through some tips on how to use a few of these champions who are counters to Pantheon. After, there is a general section explaining how to use any LoL champion as counters for Pantheon. After all, if you know how to play against Pantheon, you can play safely and effectively to defeat Pantheon in a lane.
Shield his lance everytime you can. Shen wins trades by engaging with his E. Your Q won’t be blocked by his passive, being magic damage. Watch your hp since Pantheon does burst damage to low hp targets, but you have more sustain. Lure him (E) under turret and take advantage of the situation to defeat him.
- Aegis of Zeonia will block auto attack damage but not subsequent bleed damage. Use abilities in short trades to exploit Darius’ passive armor penetration and bleed stacks.
- Pantheon’s passive does not block Darius’ Every time he runs up to you to throw his Q, just step a bit closer and use yours, you should be able to hit him. Don’t waste your W on his passive, remove it first with a basic attack and then use your W instantly.
Tips For Playing Against Pantheon
- Shoot skill shot spells where he’s about to land (after his ult, jump) such as Morgana’s bind as it’ll stop his movement before he lands and he’ll be a free target.
- Avoid being at lower health levels, as Pantheon has a 100% critical chance on his auto attacks and his spear when you are below 15% health.
- Try to keep an eye on Pantheon’s passive counter, as he will be able to block an auto-attack or even a tower shot occasionally.
- Watch out for the big red circle that appears on the ground, this means that Pantheon’s about to use his ultimate to initiate a fight.
- If you are going to engage Pantheon at early levels wait for the siege minion wave. You can almost freely fight him in front of the siege tank because its auto attack will break his passive with every hit.
- Investing in a or early can help you mitigate his damage output.
- Starting the game with
+ 4 s allow you to potentially out-sustain Pantheon’s early game damage. The armor will mitigate his damage and with the potions, Pantheon will waste mana trying to harass you. This may reduce your early game damage, but it is well worth if that means preventing Pantheon from dominating you and snowballing early.
- This start is better if your champion already has natural sustain, such as in case of .
- In addition, builds into a lot of useful items, so you don’t necessarily have to sell this item later. For AP champions, for example, this item builds into which in turn builds into , which is, in fact, a good item against Pantheon to survive his burst and boost your own damage output.
- Buying health items can help you to survive through one or two combos. However, you will then need health regeneration and/or life steal to sustain yourself in lane against him. After two or three combos early game, he can be without mana so he shouldn’t be a threat; take advantage of this to shut him down.
- If you want to take down , bait out his so he can’t recharge it as quickly.
- When laning against , play defensively instead of aggressively. may be squishy but his damage output is very high early game.
- has no escapes. Baiting him to attack you and having an ally appear to help is likely to spell his doom without the use of summoner spells to escape you.
- Avoiding will help you defeat him. If someone has been stunned by , it is unlikely they will be able to avoid – but that does not mean you should simply let it hit you.
- Be very careful of
ganking capability. allows for a quick and deadly gank.
- can also use to backdoor your turrets.
- Additionally, knockup to stop him from escaping as it will put his on a 10-second cooldown. Use this time to burst down. can be used to escape when being ganked (or counter ganks) if you realize it beforehand. In such a case, use a
- As can cast on you while dropping down in and then have it land from outside its normal range, using dashes and escapes to avoid may have you stunned nonetheless. If you expect to survive his initial burst damage after being stunned, save your escapes for after that instead of getting away from . Of course, avoiding the damage from altogether may be a larger concern – but consider the possibility.
- Try to avoid the center of so you don’t suffer the full damage of his ultimate.
- Avoid laning against him if your champion relies on being on low health to reap the full potential of the champion (such as Aatrox, , and ) as his will cause him to do a lot more damage to you at low health.
By using the champions who counter Pantheon and the LoL Pantheon counter tips above, you can now develop a strategy to help you, as a summoner, become an effective counter to Pantheon players.