Orianna is a mid lane mage that has good burst damage when she builds AP. She can also do well as a support champion if played right. In this article, we explain how to effectively counter Orianna on Summoner’s Rift.
Best Orianna Counters
Orianna Counter Picks
Now that you know who counters Orianna, you can finally counter pick Orianna in any matchup. Let’s take you through some tips on how to use a few of these champions who are counters to Orianna. After, there is a general section explaining how to use any LoL champion as counters for Orianna. After all, if you know how to play against Orianna, you can play safely and effectively to defeat Orianna in a lane.
Orianna can’t zone Zed while farming because of his ranged wave clear. If she ults him he can dodge it with W or with his own ult. Zed can also Death Mark her, R to the shadow when she ults, and W back onto her. Zed’s mobility is a problem for Orianna.
Keep your distance, both of you work in a similar way with long range harass castable while moving but Syndra’s harass is stronger. However, if you get too close, Orianna’s auto attacks will sway the trade in her favor.
LeBlanc has a lot of burst from level 2 with a simple Q+W and she is very mobile so you can bully Orianna out of lane and dodge her abilities with ease. At level 6 you can one-shot her with your full combo.
Build an early Chalice to lessen damage from her ball and autos. Keep Orianna at half hp or lower with Q. At 6, if Diana has 75% hp or greater you can likely win an all-in. Do not engage unless you hit your first Q.
Tips For Playing Against Orianna
- Try not to stand next to Orianna’s ball, because she can cast Dissonance and do damage around it.
- With proper reaction speed, you can Flash away from Orianna’s ultimate.
- Although both Orianna’s auto attacks and spells do massive damage, she is very fragile. Try focusing her on team fights.
- Orianna’s ball, when on the field, has most mobility moving from side to side, as she can move it with less range requirement. to avoid being hit by the ball so much, try staying behind it (ball in front of you). this way she must come closer to hit you.
- Orianna has limited mobility but very good wave clear, she will most likely push your lane, leaving her vulnerable to ganks. Taking a mid-laner with CC will make ganks much more effective.
- When Orianna uses her E in lane on herself, you have a four-second window to trade after the shield fades. Orianna really needs the shield to trade positively. The best time to all in her is at that point.
- Although is partially a support, she is primarily a burst AoE mage. Her damage output is reasonably high, so consider getting a magic resistance item to hinder most of her damage.
- When playing as a mage champion, it is advised not to trade auto-attacks with , as her makes her auto-attacks stronger than yours.
- Her main strength comes when you are inside her Ball’s AoE: keep out of it.
uses her or , try to avoid the ball’s path as it will damage any enemy it passes through.
- ball speed is fairly slow. Keeping your distance away from her ball will make it easier to dodge.
- Standing behind minions will lower the damage from
- This does not apply to , as it deals flat damage to everything it hits.
- Remember that even if you dodge , she can still or if you are in range. Staying out of range of the ball is key to avoiding Orianna’s damage.
has a very quick cooldown after rank 5. She can often cast it several times in fights, so avoid prolongs conflicts with her.
- Champions with quick burst, like and , can excel at taking her down before she can do too much damage, so long as they are not hit by or
- Avoid over-committing to or any of her allies when she’s around without considerable damage. shield can be deceptively strong with the added armor and magic resistance from the Ball.
By using the champions who counter Orianna and the LoL Orianna counter tips above, you can now develop a strategy to help you, as a summoner, become an effective counter to Orianna players.