Azir, the emperor of the sands, is a mid-lane mage champion. He has good mobility and can be troublesome duet o his sand minions. In this article, we discuss how to effectively counter Azir.
Best Azir Counters
Azir Counter Picks
Now that you know who counters Azir, you can finally counter pick Azir in any matchup. Let’s take you through some tips on how to use a few of these champions who are counters to Azir. After, there is a general section explaining how to use any LoL champion as counters for Azir. After all, if you know how to play against Azir, you can play safely and effectively to defeat Azir in a lane.
- Pre-6, Azir will bully lane pretty hard. Try to catch him with Ahri’s Charm combo. Once 6 is hit, Ahri will be too mobile for Azir. Mobility counters Azir.
- Ahri can stop Azir from escaping by Dashing behind him, separating him from his Turret. He can’t dash through champions, so take advantage of that.
- Ziggs’s Q outranges Azir’s so take advantage of this and harras with your Q. You can easily win in lane.
- Fizz can you use his E to escape Azir’s soldiers. If fizz is post level 6 you can go all in on Azir with your combo.
- Azir’s laning phase is very strong so this is all about being smart. Stay back and farm. Poking him with your Q is not a great idea because of this soldiers. Wait till 6 and “all in” him with your Q+E+W+R+Q combo. The lane will slowly become yours.
Tips For Playing Against Azir
- Most Azir’s are forced to start with their W first. At level 1, their soldiers are very immobile, and so is Azir. At level 2, he’ll probably take his Q. He shouldn’t have escapes until he reaches level 3. Get an early gank to try to snowball the lane.
- Azir’s E has a generally long cooldown. If he has dashed recently, take advantage of his escape being down. Be careful if he turns around on you. His shield gives a lot more protection than you think.
- Do not fight Azir/his team around a destroyed tower base. Engage once his tower’s health is REALLY low, or when it dissipates. It only stays up for 1 minute and has a 3-minute cooldown.
- Azir has to get close for his ultimate to be effective. If he’s dashing into a dangerous situation, you can assume he’s about to ult.
- High mobility is the counter to Azir, if a champion can move around quickly Azir cannot keep his soldiers on them and they can move to safe zones while fighting him. Ahri and Fizz are examples of such champions.
By using the champions who counter Azir and the LoL Azir counter tips above, you can now develop a strategy to help you, as a summoner, become an effective counter to Azir players.