So, you want to know how to open a port on your computer? Opening Windows' ports may seem tricky, however, you need to know how to open ports to prevent blocked programs. You know, to allow a program through your Firewall.
As you know, Windows Firewall manages which programs gain access to your internet connection. So, if you install a program and it does not work, then perhaps you need to open a port.
Do you know what a port is? Yes? Then, that's great! Why are you even here? Wait, so, you do not know what a port is? No worries! We've got you covered!
Table of Contents
What Is A Port?
Computer ports control data transmitted between your computer, programs and the internet. Most ports on your computer remain closed to ensure optimal security.
Sometimes, when you install a new program, you may need to unblock a certain port to allow the program to function properly.
To unblock a port, you must understand the various ports on your network. Most notably, the ones on your router and the ones controlled via Windows Firewall.
Firstly, we explain how to allow a program through Windows Firewall. Secondly, we explain the not so easy way to open a port via your router.
How To Open A Port In Windows Firewall
To open a port via Windows Firewall, you must first open the firewall options. To do so, open your computer's control panel folder, then search for and select Windows Firewall.
From this screen that appears, select allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall. This opens a menu that allows you to choose the program you need to allow through Windows Firewall.
This method is the easier of the two. However, should you need to open a specific port in your Windows Firewall, then the next steps serve to teach you how to do so.
How To Open A Specific Port In Windows Firewall
If you click Advanced Settings on the Windows Firewall menu, a window appears that displays options to open specific ports. However, before opening ports, be sure to know which ports the program uses.
To do so, check the support manual for the program or do a quick Google Search to find out which ports the program uses for internet connection.
As soon as you know which ports need to be opened, click on Inbound Rules. Then, select New Rule. Lastly, select Port. A window appears and here you select the port or set of ports you need to open.
Save the configuration and launch the program again. You may need to restart your computer. Does the program work as it should? Yes? Then, good! Does it not work? Then, try the following to open the port via your router's firewall.
How To Open A Port In A Router’s Firewall
- Firstly, you must know you IP address. To find your IP address, open a command prompt window. From here, type "ipconfig" and hit the enter button.
- Scroll through the information on the screen until you find "Default Gateway". The number displayed is your IP address.
- Now, open a web browser, type the number into the address bar, and press the Enter button. More than likely, you now see a screen asking you to log in.
- Check the login information printed directly on your router or in the user manual. Most times, the username is “admin” and the password is “admin” or “password.”
- Once logged in, find the port menu. This will vary for every brand of router, but it’s usually under the “Forwarding” or “NAT” tab.
- Once you find the port forwarding tab, you need to make a new rule for your router. Simply select the option for “Add” or “Create New Rule.”
Finally, as with Windows Firewall, add the specific port or set of ports you want open. Also, specify whether they are TCP or UDP ports.
Moreover, enter the IP address of the device you wish to forward. For example, if you want to open the ports for the computer you’re using right now, it will be the IP address you found under Default Gateway when you ran the ipconfig command.
Once the information is accurate, click save. Restart your computer. Restart your router. Try the program and it should work normally.
How to Port Forward/Open Ports on a Wireless Router
In this video tutorial, Mike from Techneektv.com will show you how to Port Forward/Open Ports on a Wireless Router.
NOTE: If you are redirected to a search or a page other than the control panel when typing in the default gateway, try adding http:// in front of it.
How to get the Username/Password for your router:
- Belkin: The default username is blank (leave the field empty) and the default password is "admin".
- D-Link: The default username is "admin" and the default password is "admin". The default username could also be blank and the default password could be admin or they could be admin and blank.
- Linksys: The default username is "admin" and the default password is blank.
- Netgear: The default username is "admin" and the default password is "password".
- Telus: The default username is blank or "admin" and the default password is "telus" or "Wireless".
- If none of the above work, try this database: http://www.routerpasswords.com/