How much data does Skype use? First off, I’m not sure how popular Skype is since Microsoft bought it back in 2011. However, a reader asked us if we knew the data usage for skype video call or audio usage. We do. Afterall, Microsoft changed the data usage policy and bandwidth requirements.
Data Usage On Skype Video Call | Audio Call
The Skype video call data usage per minute is as follows (min = minimum rec = recommended):
Skype Audio or Voice Only Calls
- Calling (min) .22 MB/min
- Calling (rec) .73 MB/min
Skype Video Calls
- Minimum Video call .94 MB/min
- Recommended Video call 2.12 MB/min
- Minimum Video call HQ 2.93 MB/min
- Recommended Video call HQ 3.66 MB/min
- Minimum Video Call HD 8.78 MB/min
- Recommended Video Call HD 10.98 MB/min
Most of the information is on the Skype help page. And, for specific devices, here’s a rough estimate of how data the application consumes.
Skype Data Usage By Device
- Skype-to-Skype: 50kbps or around 3MB per minute.
- Calls to landlines or mobile numbers: 6-20 kbps or around 1MB per minute.
- Video calls between two mobile devices: 500kbps
- Video calls between a mobile device and a computer: 600kbps
The above are rough estimates in relation to Skype’s overall data usage. For those of us with unlimited data plans, the information may prove irrelevant. However, for those on pay-as-you-go plans, it is wise to keep an eye on your data usage.
Even more, a recent study by Android Authority found that Skype uses the most data in comparison to other Voice/Video calling apps. Hence, perhaps it’s time that you move to something like Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger or FaceTime.
Also, please note that these rates do not factor in using Skype credit to make calls to landlines or direct mobile calls. By doing so, you incur additional fees on a pay as you go basis. However, the credit is prepaid as you need to purchase credit via the Skype app.