Canon M5 vs Panasonic GH5: Let’s compare these two mirrorless cameras to see where they shine. The Canon’s EOS M5 with its 24.0MP APS-C sensor and Panasonic’s GH5 with its 20.0MP Four Thirds sensor. Here’s an overview of the main specifications before we go into more detail.
Panasonic GH5 vs Canon M5 Specs
|Sensor Type||CMOS||Live MOS|
|Sensor Format||APS-C||Micro Four Thirds|
|Image Resolution||6000 x 4000||5184 x 3888|
|Body Image Stabilization||Yes (Movie only)||Yes|
|Lens Mount||Canon EF-M||Micro Four Thirds|
|ISO||100 – 25,600||200 – 25,600|
|AF Points||49 Hybrid||225 Contrast|
|Cross-type AF Points||Dual Pixel AF||0 phase|
|LCD||3.2″ – Articulating||3.2″ – Fully Articulated|
|LCD Resolution||1,620,000 dots||1,620,000 dots|
|Top LCD Display||No||No|
|Viewfinder Type||EVF (2.36M)||EVF (3.68M)|
|Video Resolution||1920×1080 (60/50/30/25/24p||4096×2160 (24p)|
|1280×720 (60/50p)||3840×2160 (60/50/30/25/24p)|
|Memory Card Type||SD||SD + SD|
|Dual Card Slots||No||Yes|
|SD UHS Support||UHS-I||UHS-II|
|Fastest Shutter Speed||1/4000||1/16000|
|Slowest Shutter Speed||30″||60″|
|JPEG Buffer Size||27||600|
|RAW Buffer Size||18||60|
|Max Flash Sync Speed||1/200||1/250|
|USB Type||USB 2.0||USB 3.0|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||295 shots||410 shots|
|Battery Included||Yes (LP-E17)||Yes|
|Weight||15.0 oz (427g)||25.6 oz (725g)|
|Size||4.6 x 3.5 x 2.4″||5.5 x 3.9 x 3.4″|
Canon M5 vs Panasonic GH5 Common Features
|Wireless Connection||Yes vs Yes||Better connectivity|
|Bluetooth Connection||Yes vs Yes||Connect to other devices via Bluetooth|
|Articulating Screen||Yes vs Yes||Flexible shooting positions|
|External Flash Shoe||Yes vs Yes||Better for flash photography|
|Touch Screen||Yes vs Yes||Easy control of camera functions|
|Viewfinder||Yes (Electronic) vs Yes (Electronic)||Better framing and control|
|RAW Support||Yes vs Yes||Better image quality|
|Face Detection Focus||Yes vs Yes||Useful very handy for portraits|
|Max Resolution||24 MP vs 20 MP||Bigger prints and more details|
|LCD Screen Size||3.2″ vs 3.2″||Large display|
|LCD Screen Resolution||1.620k dots vs 1.620k dots||Higher resolution screens|
|Microphone Port||Yes vs Yes||High-quality audio recording option|
|Timelapse Recording||Yes vs Yes||Creative shooting|
|AE Bracketing||Yes vs Yes||Useful for tough lighting conditions and HDR|
|Selfie Friendly LCD||Yes vs Yes||Rotate LCD for taking Selfies|
|Smartphone Remote Control||Yes vs Yes||Remote control your camera with a smartphone|
Panasonic GH5 vs Canon M5 Size Comparison
The Canon M5 is the smaller of the two mirrorless cameras. Its body is 23mm narrower, 9mm shorter and 26mm thinner than the Panasonic Lumix DMC GH5. The EOS M5 is also 298g lighter than the Lumix GH5. A noticeable weight difference that impacts usage of the camera.
However, since the Canon EOS M5 has an APS-C sized sensor and the Panasonic GH5 has a smaller Four-Thirds sensor, Panasonic GH5’s lenses for a similar focal length and aperture are lighter and smaller than the Canon M5 lenses.
Panasonic GH5 vs Canon M5 Sensor Comparison
The Canon EOS M5 has a 24.0MP APS-C (22.3 x 14.9 mm ) sized CMOS sensor and features a Digic 7 processor. On the other hand, the Panasonic Lumix DMC GH5 has a 20.0MP Four Thirds (17.3 x 13 mm ) sized CMOS sensor and features a Venus Engine processor.
Panasonic GH5’s sensor lacks anti-alias (Low-Pass) filter. This means that photos are sharper and offer more detail. However, it also increases the chances of moire.
Lastly, The Canon EOS M5 has a 1.5x Larger sensor area than the Lumix DMC GH5. Larger sensors provide you with more control over the depth of field and blurry background compared to the smaller sensor when shot in same focal length and aperture.
Why You Should Choose The Panasonic GH5
|Built-in Image Stabilization||Sensor-shift vs None||All the lenses are stabilized|
|Number of Focus Points||225 vs 49||176 more focus points|
|Max Shutter Speed||1/8000s vs 1/4000s||Faster shutter speed|
|Continuous Shooting||12.0fps vs 9.0fps||3 fps faster|
|Battery Life||410 shots vs 295 shots||115 more frames with a single charge|
|Headphone Port||Yes vs No||Better video control|
|Environmental Sealing||Yes vs No||Shoot at tough conditions|
|Viewfinder Resolution||3680k dot vs 2360k dot||55% higher resolution|
|Max Video Resolution||4096 x 2160 vs 1920 x 1080||Higher Resolution Video|
|Flash Sync Port||Yes vs No||Connect off-camera flash|
|4K Photo Mode||Yes vs No||Extract 8MP photos from 4K Video|
|6K Photo Mode||Yes vs No||Extract 18MP photos from Video footage|
|Focus Stacking||Yes vs No||Stacks photos in-camera to maximize depth of field|
|Post Focus Mode||Yes vs No||Change focus point after taking a shot|
|Storage Slot||2 vs 1||Extra storage slot|
|Support for UHS Memory Cards||UHS-II vs none||Read/Write in Ultra High Speeds|
Advantages of the Panasonic GH5 Over Canon M5
- AA Filter – The Panasonic GH5 has no AA filter.
- Body Image Stabilization – The Panasonic GH5 has built-in body stabilization for photos and videos, which is an excellent feature for traveling and shooting in low light.
- AF Points – 225 vs 49.
- Continuous mode – 12fps vs 7fps. More is better for sports and wildlife since you have more chances of getting a tack sharp shot.
- LCD – It’s fully articulated.
- Video Resolution – 4K video available.
- Headphone Jack – Useful for previewing your audio quality straight out the camera.
- Dual Card Slots – More room for extra photos, or simply for backup.
- UHS-II – Faster writing speeds than UHS-I, but you need a memory card that can handle such speeds.
- Faster Max Shutter Speed – 1/16000 vs 1/4000.
- Slower Max Shutter Speed – 60” vs 30”.
- JPEG Buffer Size – 600 vs 27. Useful for long bursts.
- RAW Buffer Size – 60 vs 18.
- Max Flash Sync Speed – 1/250 vs /200.
- USB 3.0 – Faster file transferring out the camera.
- Environmentally Sealed – The Panasonic GH5 more suited for shooting outdoors in difficult terrain and bad weather conditions.
- Battery Life – 410 shots vs 295 shots.
Video: Panasonic GH5 Hands-on Review
Why You Should Choose The Canon M5
|Built-in Flash||Yes vs No||Useful in low-light|
|Max Sensor Resolution||24 MP vs 20 MP||19% more pixels|
|Weight||427 g vs 725 g||298 g lighter|
|Sensor Pixel Area||13.84µm2 vs 11.16µm2||24% larger pixel area|
|Price||$880 vs $1,998||$1,118 cheaper|
|NFC Connection||Yes vs No||Easy wireless connectivity with compatible devices|
Advantages of the Canon M5 Over the Panasonic GH5
- Megapixels – 3.9 more megapixels. It’s a small difference and you won’t notice it unless printing really big.
- Sensor Format – APS-C is bigger than MFT, which results in slightly less noise at higher ISO levels.
- Built-in Flash
- Built-in NFC
- Weight – The Canon M5 weighs 298g less.
- Size – The Canon M5 is noticeably smaller.