Blocking someone on Android is straightforward. Whether you want to block text messages or just block a specific number or person, there are several ways to go about doing so. You can block text messages from a specific number or contact on your Android device with a third-party solution or by using the inbuilt Android blocking feature.
Table of Contents
Block Text Messages | Android Default Option
- Open “Messaging.“
- Tap the “Menu” icon located at the upper-right corner.
- Select “Blacklist.“
- Set “Blacklist” to “On,“ then choose the plus (+) to add a person to block.
- Type the number you wish to block. Check “Block incoming calls” or “Block incoming messages” then select “OK." (You can select both options)
- To remove a contact from the Blacklist, choose the number, then choose “Delete."
The above method works for some devices. However, the options may vary by the brand of device. For example, Samsung may have different options than LG or HTC. Here are the steps for specific manufacturers running Android on their smartphones.
Block Text Messages On A Nexus Phone
You can block text messages on a Nexus phone in two ways. Both methods involve using the Messenger app to block the number that's texting or calling you.
- Firstly, open the Messenger app.
- Secondly, open or start a conversation with one of your contacts.
- Now, tap More — represented by three vertical dots — and select People & options,
- From here, tap Block.
Alternatively, you can open the Messenger app, touch and hold the conversation you want to prevent, tap Block when the option appears in the top-right corner, and tap OK. These methods allow you to block specific numbers on Nexus devices.
Block SMS On A Samsung Phone
Samsung smartphones also allow you to block messages in two ways. Like the Nexus, both methods use the Messages app.
- Open Messages
- Select the conversation with the contact you want to block
- From there, tap the More icon.
- Select Block number, and toggle Message block to “On.”
- Then, tap OK.
Alternatively, from Messages > More > Settings. Tap Block messages to select the checkbox, then tap Block list. From here, enter the contact’s number and tap the ‘+’ sign, or choose from your inbox or contacts list. Hit back when done.
If you do not see a block list or black list option, an option also appears at the top of the screen to add those selected to the “spam numbers list” (the option at the top is an icon containing no words – just a picture of a circle with a line through it). Clicking that icon will add all selected numbers in the list to what the phone calls the “spam numbers” list (essentially the blacklist by a different name).
Block SMS Messages On An LG phone
LG’s blocking process is quick and straightforward, but instead of blocking, you mark messages as spam to block further messages.
- Open LG’s messaging app
- Tap the SMS or MMS message you want to blacklist
- Then, tap Menu > Register spam number and check or uncheck Delete all messages of the selected number — this part is entirely optional — to confirm your choice.
This method blocks the number and registers it as a spam number.
Block Texts On An HTC phone
HTC’s way of blocking unwanted messages is quick and easy just like LG. Here's how to do it.
- Open Messages,
- Tap and hold the text conversation
- The Message Options appears.
- Then, tap Block contact.
Block Messages On Any Android Phone Using Text Blocker
If your messaging app does not offer a Blacklist option, use Handcent.
- Download and install Handcent SMS. An excellent text blocker and manager.
- Disable the notifications for your current text messaging app.
- Open Handcent then select the “Menu” icon in the upper left corner of the screen, then tap the gear in the lower left corner of the screen.
- Select “Security & privacy” > “Manage blacklist“.
- Tap the plus (+) icon to add the phone number you wish to block. You can choose one from your contacts, call logs, or input the number directly.
This method blocks all text messages from that person. However, if you ever want to unblock the person, return to the “Manage blacklist” screen, tap it, then select “Unblacklist“. You can check out alternative messaging apps on the Play Store as well. “Private Space” is another app to try.