Follow this guide to download and install the Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Marshmallow Update if you’re using the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) custom ROM.
Table of Contents
Yes, the ROM has bugs! This is due to the fact that the custom ROM is still in Alpha stage and as such you will encounter issues with the ROM. Below you will find a list of what works and what doesn’t work with the AOSP Marshmallow update.
- Sensors (Accelerometer, Compass, Light, Proximity, etc.)
- Video (playback & recording)
- Audio (playback & recording)
- Everything else not listed under “known issues”
- RIL (Calls, SMS, Mobile Data) does not work
- Dual SIM does not work
- FM Radio does not work
- SELinux is in permissive mode
- Runtime storage permission does not work properly (setns patches are not applied, see PermissionsHostTest CTS test)
- /proc/uid_cputime/show_uid_stat kernel patch is not applied
- (XDA) DEV-DB says this is Lollipop because the feature has not been updated for Marshmallow yet.
- Sometimes wake up causes music stutter
- Does not work on 4.1 stock ROM’s bootloader, please upgrade to stock 4.2 before flashing
Additionally, Dual SIM has the following limitations (once they work):
- Both SIMs are always enabled (no way to disable one SIM)
- “Receive incoming call while data is enabled” is always enabled
You can keep abreast with the functionality of the ROM by following this thread.
- Marshmallow custom ROM — Link | Download Mirror | File: aosp-6.0-20151013-UNOFFICIAL-i9082.zip (211.11 MB)
- Google Apps (Gapps) — Gapps 6.0 Marshmallow Download
- Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos, model no. GT-i9082
- The installation will not work with any other device.
Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps outlined in the tutorial below.
How to Install
Required: You will need to have TWRP recovery installed on your device to be able to install the Marshmallow custom ROM and Google Apps (Gapps). Check out our Install TWRP Recovery On Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos GT-I9082 Tutorial.
- Download the Marshmallow ROM and gapps file from above.
- Connect your device to PC and transfer the ROM and gapps file to it. Disconnect the device then. Remember the location of the files.
- Boot your Galaxy Grand Duos into recovery mode. If you are rooted, you can use Quick Boot app from play store. To manually boot into recovery mode, do this:
- Power off your device and wait for 5-10 seconds until the device is fully switched off.
- Press and hold Volume up + Home + Power button together and release them only when you see Samsung’s logo.
- You will enter recovery mode soon, and should see TWRP recovery. If you see 3e recovery, then you need to install TWRP recovery for this (linked above).
- [Optional] Once in TWRP, create a backup of your device. Tap on Backup, and then select all the partitions for back. Now do the swipe action at bottom to start creating a backup for emergency cases. This backup is really a lifesaver!
- Do a Factory Reset. On TWRP’s main screen, tap on Wipe, and then do the Swipe action bottom to confirm it.
- Unmount System now. Use the TWRP’s mount menu, and then deselect the System from there, so that it’s not mounted while we flash the ROM.
- Now, install the ROM file. On TWRP’s homescreen, tap on Install, and then locate the ROM file and tap on it. Then do the Swipe action at bottom to begin flashing the update.
- Tap on Home button to go back. Now, install the Gapps the same way you installed Marshmallow ROM on your Galaxy Grand Duos.
- When it’s done, tap on Reboot system button to restart the device.
Install Android Marshmallow 6.0 on Samsung Galaxy Grand GT-I9082
There you have it. You have successfully installed the (AOSP) Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Marshmallow Update. Thanks for reading and remember, if this guide helped you then please share it with your friends.