Motorola has rolled out the latest Android 5.1 Lollipop update for 1st Gen US Cellular Moto X devices. The new update patches the StageFright vulnerability among other features and enhancements.
US Cellular promises better battery life and new notification control features and a few other minor security improvements. The OTA update can be anywhere between 200 and 700 MB depending on the build number of your Moto X device. On this page you will find the Android 5.1 OTA update for US Cellular Moto X XT1055 devices.
Things to know
- 5.1 update — Link | File: Blur_Version.161.44.27.ghost_usc.USC.en.US.zip (700.6 MB)
- US CELLULAR MOTO X, 1st Gen, 2013 edition, model number XT1055
- Do not attempt to use this update on any other device.
You can locate your device’s model number by going into Settings and then About or you can check the packaging in which your device was shipped. You should also know that performing the update like this may void your warranty and you should proceed at your own risk. It is also a good idea to backup your device data before performing the update.
US Cellular Moto X XT1055 Lollipop Update
How to install Android 5.1 Lollipop on Moto X XT1055
- Download the official Moto X Android 5.1 OTA update found above.
- Connect your Moto X to your computer using the USB cable.
- Transfer the OTA update to your phone’s storage. (In a location that you can remember).
- Boot your Moto X to recovery mode. (Be sure that you have the stock recovery, and not a TWRP/CWM recovery.)
Boot Moto X into Recovery Mode
- Disconnect the phone from the PC, and Power it off.
- Press and hold both volume buttons and the power button until your device’s screen lights up and takes you to the bootloader mode.
- Now, use the volume down button to move the selection to Recovery.
- Now, use volume up button to select the option and then reboot the Moto X into recovery mode.
- Now you’ll see an Android with an exclamation mark.
- Press and hold both the volume buttons for around 5 seconds and while holding them, press power button once. You will see stock recovery and its options.
Install US Cellular Moto X Android 5.1 Lollipop Update
- In the stock recovery, choose ‘install update from sdcard’.
- Now, select the OTA update file using the volume buttons for navigation and the power button to select a file or enter a folder. Once you select the file, confirm the install and the update will start installing on your device.
- When the update is finished, you will be taken back to the main screen of the recovery environment. Select ‘reboot system now’ to restart your device.
You have successfully installed the Android 5.1 Lollipop update on your US Cellular Moto X XT1055. You can now proceed to set up the device and use your smartphone as you like.