Moto X Play Marshmallow OTA Update: Download and install the latest Moto X Play Android Marshmallow update. The Canadian Moto X Play received the update this week however, if you have not gotten the update by now, here’s how to download and install it. The installation process is quite simple and this upgrades the Moto X to Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Also, this is the official Google Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM. Just recently, the Moto X2 Marshmallow OTA Update was also released. Here’s what you need to do!
Table of Contents
Things You’ll Need
- Moto X Play Marshmallow OTA
- Your Moto X Play Smartphones
- Telus Moto X Play
- Koodo Moto X Play
- Public Mobile Moto X Play
Download Moto X Play Marshmallow OTA
This is the OTA file that you will need in order to update the Moto X Play to the latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Before you download the file, please be sure that your Moto X Play has the model no. XT1563, the Canadian Moto X Play. Do not try this on any other device or your risk briking your Moto X Play. Download either of the following:
First, you need to have the Moto X stock recovery, if you installed the Moto X Play TWRP custom recovery, you will need to reinstall stock recovery. With stock recovery, you can simply follow those steps:
- Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Download the OTA update .zip file on your PC and rename it to ota.zip.
Enable Moto X Play USB Debugging
- Enable USB debugging:
- Go to your phone’s settings » About phone » and tap “Build number” Seven times. This will enable Developer options on your phone.
- Now go to Settings » Developer options » and tick the USB debugging check box.
Continue the Installation
- Connect your phone to PC.
- Now open the folder where you downloaded the OTA update .zip file and then open a command window inside the folder.
- To do that, do a “Shift + Right click” on any empty white space inside the folder and select “Open command window here” from the context menu.
- Now issue the following window to command window to reboot your device into recovery mode:
- adb reboot recovery
- └ Check your phone’s screen, if it asks for “Allow USB debugging”, accept it by selecting OK/Yes.
- Once in recovery mode, use Volume buttons to navigate up and down between options and Power button to select an option.
- Select the “Apply update from ADB” option.
- Now issue the following command to finally begin installing the OTA:
- adb sideload ota.zip
- └ This will begin the OTA installation.
- Once the OTA zip is installed, select reboot from the main menu of recovery.
Please take note that once Marshmallow is installed, nothing is stopping you from reinstalling TWRP and then, it will work as if nothing ever happened. If you need SuperSU, make sure to use SuperSU 2.62, earlier versions may cause problem with Marshmallow. Also, if TWRP asks if you want to install Root, click “Do not install” as it would install an older version of SuperSU. That’s why you need to flash SuperSU 2.62 zip file.
There you have it! Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Moto X Play. This tip was provided by XDA Member MerlinMerlinMerlin and the guide was provided by Nico3d3. If you’re having trouble then you can follow the official XDA thread for troubleshooting.