Are you connecting your computer to your TV via HDMI? The video works. However, the HDMI sound does not work. Most users report that the HDMI sound does not work in Windows 10. However, many Windows 10 users resolve the issue after using one of the following fixes.
Set HDMI Device as Default Device
The first thing to check is that the HDMI device is set up as your default device. If it is not, the audio does not play via the HDMI output. To set the HDMI as the default device do the following:
- Right-click on the sound volume icon in the lower right corner of Windows.
- From the context menu that appears, click Playback devices.
- In the Playback tab, select Digital Output Device or HDMI.
- Now, click Set Default and click OK. This sets the HDMI sound output as default.
Sometimes the option does not appear in the Playback tab because of disabled devices. Hence, you need to enable and set the device as default to allow audio playback through the HDMI connection.
- Click on any blank space (within the Playback tab).
- Now, click show disconnected devices.
- Then, select show disabled devices in the menu.
- Select the HDMI device and set it as default.
Lastly, check to verify that the sound issue no longer occurs. If not, then congratulations. If you still cannot hear sound from the HDMI connection move to the next fix.
HDMI Sound Not Working? Update The Sound Driver
For the most part, Windows normally updates drivers automatically. However, there are times when you need to update these drivers yourself. To update the HDMI drivers do the following:
- Open “Device Manager” (Hit the Windows Key and Search).
- Find the HDMI device and left-click it.
- Now, right-click the highlighted driver and select “Update driver software” from the menu.
Windows searches for the necessary drivers online and installs them on your computer. Should it install new drivers, be sure to restart your computer. If the HDMI sound is still not working in Windows 10, try this strange fix.
Put Computer To Sleep
A reader suggested that when you connect the laptop and TV, you ought to put the computer to sleep and wake it for the connection to work with audio. The fix sounds strange, however, many swear that it works.
- Connect the HDMI to your laptop and TV.
- Now, put the computer to sleep.
- Turn the computer back on and the sound should work.
- Verify that the cable works. Use another cable to see if the problem resolves.
- Check that the output port works fine. If your PC has multiple HDMI output ports, try different ports and see if the problem resolves.
- Check if the monitor works properly. Make sure the monitor’s speaker volume is not turned down or muted. Then try connecting the monitor to another PC.