Sometimes your Google Pixel 2 XL battery drains rather fast and it may overheat when you put it to charge. In this tutorial, you learn how to troubleshoot and fix Google Pixel 2 XL battery drain and overheating issues.
Tips To Fix Google Pixel 2 XL Fast Battery Drain
- Disable Google Assistant. Why? “Google Assistant” has to constantly auto-connect to get the latest news, app information, location, etc. This, in turn, drains your Google Pixel 2 XL’s battery.
- Uninstall RAM cleaner apps. Why? The constant moving of data back and forth from and into your RAM storage puts a strain on the Pixel 2 XL battery and system.
- Disable LTE. 3G networks are still fast. 4G/LTE requires more resources to function.
- Adjust Backlight Brightness. Try not to use more than 60% backlight on your Google Pixel 2. The higher the brightness settings, the more battery power your phone has to use.
- Disable S-Health and S-Voice. Trackers are great. However, they collect data 24/7. Once enabled, they use your battery and increase battery drain.
- Disable Pop-ups and Notifications. I refer to Twitter, Facebook, etc notifications. Each time you receive a game or app notification, you use up the remaining battery life on your phone. Try disabling the ones you absolutely do not need.
How To Fix Bad Google Pixel 2 XL Battery LifeThis article continues by addressing the battery draining issues, the possible causes, and fixes. After, the article addresses the issue of overheating, the causes, and solutions. Time to learn what to do if your Google Pixel 2 XL battery drains fast.
Use An App To Reduce Google Pixel 2 XL Battery DrainFirstly, I would ask the question! I know you want to ask. Didn’t you say that apps affect battery life? Yes. Yes, I did. However, this app helps you save battery life on your Google Pixel 2 XL. Greenify is not your typical battery saver app. Unlike most of these types of apps, Greenify does not add unwanted apps and popup ads on your Google Pixel 2 XL. Greenify is entirely unobtrusive. It does what it set out to do. Help you regain your depleting battery life. Greenify allows you to place most of your apps in a state of hibernation. Apps placed in hibernation only reactivate when you choose to take them out of hibernation. All you have to do is launch the app you want to use. After you finish using the app, Greenify places the app back into hibernation after a period of inactivity. Greenify reduces the number of apps that run in the background. Hence, your battery life improves significantly. Are you interested in using Greenify? Then, read how to use Greenify app to extend battery life on your Google Pixel 2 XL. Once you understand how to use Greenify, then check out the other optimization tips for maximum battery life. Alternatively, check them out right now if you do not like the idea of using apps.
Change Google Pixel 2 XL SettingsFirstly, turn off the automatic brightness feature. This feature is the first to modify if you want to extend you Pixel 2 XL’s battery life. Instead of automatically adjusting the brightness, set it manually. However, do not set it so low that you no longer have visibility. Reducing the brightness level of your Google Pixel 2 XL significantly reduces the strain on your battery.
Location Services & GPSSecondly, turn off the GPS. Yes! Do you know how many apps use the Pixel 2 XL’s GPS in the background? Location Services is one of the most power consuming features of the Google Pixel 2 XL. You may think that Google Maps is the culprit. I did for quite some time. However, social media apps like Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp use your Google Pixel 2 XL’s GPS functionality. This usage, in turn, drains your battery life. Moreover, while location services are useful for finding places/directions, I doubt you want Facebook or the likes tracking you. By limiting the GPS & location services, you boost you Google Pixel 2 XL’s battery life. Do you know how to modify location services? To adjust the location services on your Google Pixel 2 XL, do the following:
Tweak GPS Settings To Improve Google Pixel 2 XL Battery LifeGo into Settings > Location > Mode, and you find three options: High Accuracy, which uses GPS, Wi-Fi, and the mobile network to determine your position. The high-accuracy mode drains the most battery life. Battery/Power Saving reduces battery usage. However, your GPS functionalities may not be accurate. Finally, there is Device Only. Device Only uses the onboard GPS of your Google Pixel 2 XL. Furthermore, you can disable location services altogether. However, as you would expect, this limits your Pixel 2 XL’s capabilities. Adjust the settings to your liking. For me, I use the power save mode. However, if I go for a jog or walk, I momentarily enable the High Accuracy setting.
Modify Sync Settings On Google Pixel 2 XL To Stop The Battery From Draining QuicklyThe third setting that you can tweak is the Google Pixel 2 XL Sync setting. As you know, sync allows your Pixel 2 XL to receive push notifications and updates. Hence, when you disable individual sync features, you prevent unnecessary notifications and updates. However, for important notifications, you can choose to allow sync to work. The choice is yours. Also, note that you can manually refresh or sync each of your apps by opening them.
Turn Off Background SyncDepending on your apps, this may or may not impact much. If you have at least five apps that sync in the background, chances are they are the primary reason why your battery power can never stretch longer in a day. If you really don’t need the syncing, go under Settings>Accounts and turn them off. Switch to manual sync whenever you need an update for, say, emails. Lastly, explore the battery settings on your Google Pixel 2 XL. Get a feel for what is using up your battery life and take steps to reduce the load on the battery. Android devices have lots of settings that can reduce battery drain. Check them out!
Check To See Which Apps Are Draining Your Google Pixel 2 XL BatteryGo into Settings > Device Maintenance > Battery. There, view what’s making your Google Pixel 2 XL battery drain very fast – Moreover, if you tap on each of the apps, then tap save power to prevent those apps from using battery power when not in use.
Power SaveIn the settings, you can also select a power saving mode such as MID or MAX. Each setting disables or adjusts certain features to extend your Pixel 2 XL’s battery life. Customize these features to your liking for optimal battery performance on your Google Pixel 2 XL. However, none of them are mandatory, and you will know what works best for you.
How To Fix A Google Pixel 2 XL Battery That Drains QuicklyHere are a few more recommended solutions for fixing Pixel 2 XL fast battery draining issues. Use the ones that you feel comfortable using.
End All Background Apps Then Reboot Your Phone
- Tap the Recent Apps key.
- Scroll through the app previews.
- Then tap and drag the app off-screen to close it.
- Alternatively, you can tap on the X in the upper-right corner of an app to close it. To close all running apps at once, tap Close All instead.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Device maintenance.
- Tap the three dots in the upper right-hand corner.
- Choose Auto Restart.
- Turn the feature on and choose a time and day to automatically restart your smartphone.
Install App Updates
- Open the Apps screen.
- Tap Play Store.
- Tap the Menu icon (list symbol) on the upper-leftmost side of Google Playscreen.
- Select My apps & games.
- Go to the Updates section to view a list of apps with pending updates.
- To update individual apps, tap the Update button next to each app.
- To update all apps at once, tap the Update All button on the upper-right side of the screen instead.
Check Battery Usage & Manage Power Usage For Apps
- Go to your phone Settings.
- Tap on Battery.
- Select Battery Usage.
- From the Home screen, tap the Apps tray.
- Tap Settings > Apps.
- Tap the desired application in the default list or tap 3 dots icon > Show system apps to display preinstalled apps.
- Tap the desired application.
- Tap Uninstall.
- Tap Uninstall again to confirm.