Learn how to factory reset Galaxy S4 devices. The guide involves showing you various methods that can be used to factory reset any Samsung Galaxy S4 device as well as explaining how to solve factory reset errors on the Galaxy S4. You should note that a factory reset is the same as a hard reset for the Galaxy S4. Now, there are many reasons why you might want to hard reset your Galaxy S4 to the device defaults. If you haven't yet, you might want to backup your contacts and apps. Let's Get started with the tutorial.
Samsung Galaxy S4 Factory Reset
- From the home screen tap the apps icon in the lower right corner.
- Locate and tap the settings icon.
- In the upper corner of the screen tap the accounts tab.
- In the bottom of the next screen tap the Backup and reset button.
- Tap factory data reset.
- Read the information that appears on the Galaxy S4 screen and tap Reset device to proceed.
Your device will restart during the process. When it starts, you will have to set up the device again as if you had just received a brand new S4. This method assumes that you have access to your device. However, if you 're facing screen troubles (frozen screen) then you can use the next method to reset your S4.
Factory Reset Galaxy S4 Using Recovery Mode
Samsung Galaxy S4 Recovery Mode
- Press and hold the power button until the device shuts down.
- If your device won’t turn off then remove the battery for five seconds before putting it back in. (Do not turn the S4 on)
- While your device is turned off, press and hold the volume up and the home button, while at the same time pressing and holding the power button as well.
- Hold the three buttons until "recovery mode" appears in the upper left corner of the screen.
- To navigate the recovery mode screen use the volume up and volume down keys. Use the power button to select an option.
- Find wipe data/factory reset using the navigation keys
- Execute the operation using the power button
Your device will restart and boot with the default settings. Complete the Galaxy S4 setup process and continue to use your device as you normally would. The next page involves how to factory reset Galaxy S4 Mini devices.
How to Factory Reset Galaxy S4 Mini
Find "Factory data reset"
- Slide your finger down the display starting from the top edge of your phone.
- Press the settings icon.
- Press the Accounts tab.
- Press Backup and reset.
- Press Factory data reset.
Restore Factory Default Settings
- Press Reset device.
- Press Erase everything.
- Wait a moment while the factory default settings are restored.
- Follow the instructions on the display to set up your phone and prepare it for use.
That's all there is to factory resetting the S4 Mini. If you'd like to have a visual aid for the above tutorial then you can find the post here. The next page offers a video tutorial that shows how to factory reset Galaxy s4 active devices.
Factory Reset Galaxy S4 Active
The video outlines the steps needed for factory resetting your Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. This is a video on how to perform both methods of factory reset on a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active i537. Soft reset and hard reset works for All models -
- i537 - AT&T
- i337 - AT&T
- M919 - T-Mobile
- i545 - Verizon
- L720 - Sprint
Disclaimer - A factory data reset both hard or soft will erase all of your personal information on your device and return it to its out of the box state. You are doing this factory data wipe/reset on your device at your own risk. We are not responsible for any problems or technical difficulties caused from trying these techniques.
The next page is for those people who want to factory reset Galaxy S4 Lollipop devices. This can be useful if you want to prepare your device for an update.
Factory Reset Galaxy S4 Lollipop
- Open the menu on the home screen of your Android Lollipop smartphone and then navigate to settings.
- Search for the section "user and backup" and then tap on "Backup and Reset".
- You will proceed to the next submenu. You can now see the following button: "Factory data reset"
- After you tap the button, a tutorial wizard will guide you through the process of returning your device to the factory settings in Android Lollipop.
- Tap on the next screen, "Reset Device" and follow the instructions on the display.
The S4 smartphone will restart after the factory reset and all new Android Lollipop files will be installed. Then you will have a freshly installed Android Lollipop system. If you don't have access to the screen due to freeze issues then perform the hard reset using the methods outlined here.
Thanks for reading this rather lengthy Factory Reset Galaxy S4 devices how-to guide. Please share the tutorial so that others can learn how to hard reset their S4 devices as well. To recap, we have looked at factory resetting the Galaxy S4 using the device settings, we also looked at using recovery mode to factory reset Galaxy S4 devices and we look at factory resetting the Galaxy S4 Active and Mini as well as Galaxy S4 devices running Android Lollipop.