Ryze is a mage champion in League of Legends. He can play both top and mid lane very well. However, some summoners opt to play him in an alleged support role. In this article, we explain how to effectively counter Ryze on Summoner’s Rift.
Best Ryze Counters
Ryze Counter Picks
Now that you know who counters Ryze, you can finally counter pick Ryze in any matchup. Let’s take you through some tips on how to use a few of these champions who are counters to Ryze. After, there is a general section explaining how to use any LoL champion as counters for Ryze. After all, if you know how to play against Ryze, you can play safely and effectively to defeat Ryze in a lane.
Cassiopeia has a complete advantage against Ryze in lane because of her strong poke. You want to poke Ryze down and deny him last hitting. The one thing you want watch out for are ganks so make sure to ward around your lane. Cassiopeia out ranges Ryze.
Get Chalice, max Eye of Destruction and attack Ryze when he tries to last-hit. Xerath wave clears at range and never allows Ryze to engage.
- Ryze has a terrible range on all of his abilities so Vel’Koz should abuse his range in lane especially if Ryze tries to trade with him.
- Don’t go for auto attacks against Ryze, Vel’Koz 525 auto attack range which will bring him in range of Ryze’ full combo.
Tips For Playing Against Ryze
- Ryze can outduel almost anyone in the game. Unless you’re at a clear advantage, avoid fighting him 1v1.
- It is highly recommended that Ryze should be focused during team fights first because he deals massive sustained damage, yet he is close ranged.
- Ryze’s Spell Flux is can bounce off him as well. Keep that in mind if you are a melee champion and are dueling him.
- Early game, Ryze’s W and E have a 14+ sec cooldown. If you are a champion with a gap closer, make sure to capitalize on this.
- Ryze has a limited range of where he can cast his abilities. Champions that can outrange his short casting range have a high advantage towards him. (Cassiopeia, Xerath, etc.)
- Ryze has a lot of item choices around armor but is slightly limited when it comes to MR… Pick an AP burster against him and he’ll have to sacrifice some damage.
has a relatively short range for a mage so long range champions like or can harass him with less risk.
- However, these champions still need to be wary of when used on a minion wave.
By using the champions who counter Ryze and the LoL Ryze counter tips above, you can now develop a strategy to help you, as a summoner, become an effective counter to Ryze players.