Kennen is a top lane mage ( one of the very few). However, Kennen can also play mid and bot roles just fine as well. In this article, we discuss how to effectively counter Kennen on Summoner’s Rift.
Best Kennen Counters
Kennen Counter Picks
Now that you know who counters Kennen, you can finally counter pick Kennen in any matchup. Let’s take you through some tips on how to use a few of these champions who are counters to Kennen. After, there is a general section explaining how to use any LoL champion as counters for Kennen. After all, if you know how to play against Kennen, you can play safely and effectively to defeat Kennen in a lane.
In team fights, Janna does very well against Kennen. As soon as he ults and tries to enter a team fight just hit R immediately to push him out of the fight. If he tries to flash back in quickly you can also follow up with a Q.
Kennen will struggle to complete his stun as Ryze can root him when he tries to initiate with Lightning Rush. Note that his other spells outrange yours, so stay behind your minions.
Kennen will lose every trade in auto attack range. This will turn into a farm lane which Vladimir will win. Use minions to block Shuriken.
Stay behind minions so Kennen can’t land his Shuriken. Stuns don’t interrupt Ravenous Flock, and Kennen does not burst hard enough to cut through Swain’s healing.
Tips For Fighting Against Kennen
- Kennen has a hard time against champions with Knock-back (e.g. Tristana Buster Shot) which prevents him from entering a fight with his Maelstrom.
- Step away from him when he has his Electrical Surge proc up, otherwise, you’ll take additional damage as well as get marked.
- Most Kennen’s build a bit of AD early into AP mid-game, so don’t be fooled and build MR against him.
- Zhonya’s is a core item for a dangerous Kennen initiation. As soon as Kennen pops his Maelstrom, he’ll try to walk into the middle of your team and go into stasis while the rest of his team follows up on the stuns. Try to prevent him from initiating.
- Watch Kennen’s Shuriken. When it has got lightning on it, his next basic attack will do bonus damage and applies a mark. This way he can stun you without the need to go in close.
By using the champions who counter Kennen and the LoL Kennen counter tips above, you can now develop a strategy to help you, as a summoner, become an effective counter to Kennen players.