Hecarim is the horseman of League of Legends. He is one of the fastest champions on the Rift. He’s an avid fighter that normally plays in the jungle. However, he can also be a top laner. In this article, we discuss how to effectively counter Hecarim.
Best Hecarim Counters
- Dr. Mundo
Hecarim Counter Picks
Now that you know who counters Hecarim, you can finally counter pick Hecarim in any matchup. Let’s take you through some tips on how to use a few of these champions who are counters to Hecarim. After, there is a general section explaining how to use any LoL champion as counters for Hecarim. After all, if you know how to play against Hecarim, you can play safely and effectively to defeat Hecarim in a lane.
Nasus’ Wither is perfect against Hecarim. To be more clear, use wither on Hecarim and it will lower his attack gains from his passive.
As Nasus, your objective is farming (for your Q stacks). However, a skilled Nasus will wither a Hecarim when he goes in for a devastating charge (E), as it reduces his damage output massively.
- Vi can invade and take advantage of Hecarim’s long cooldowns to kill him in duels or counter his initiation with her own.
Hecarim has no poke skill. He’s a close ranged melee champion that depends heavily on his ultimate to engage. As Dr. Mundo, you can poke him with your Cleaver or use it to kite him during his ultimate.
- Sejuani’s kit is great for fighting against Hecarim. She negates his passive and can interrupt his ultimate/engage with her move set.
Tips For Playing Against Hecarim
- Avoid being clumped so Hecarim won’t be able to use his ultimate to fear multiple people.
- Move away from him when he has his Spirit of Dread on, as he will heal from any source of damage dealt to enemies.
- When an enemy Hecarim ganks your lane, do not allow him to go behind you while he has his ‘Devastating Charge’ movement speed buff active. He may knock you back slightly, away from your tower into the opposing laner, preventing you from getting to safety.
- To counter the power of Hecarim’s ganks pick exhaust or champions with stuns or slows. It will massively reduce the effect of his passive and Devastating Charge.
- is a powerful AoE threat, especially in the later stages of the game. Spreading out will reduce his effectiveness by preventing him from terrifying your team with , mitigating the constant AoE damage Hecarim can deal with , and decreasing the amount of sustain he can gain from .
- grants very high sustainability but has a fairly lengthy cooldown and a short duration. Consider using burst damage or waiting for to time out before targeting him.
- may attempt to land behind you with and/or to push you towards the rest of his team. Try to away or position yourself so that this is not a possibility.
- Powerful slows, such as , , or can completely nullify the damage bonus from and prevent H from engaging with .
- A jungling is exceptionally weak at dueling against most champions early game, so he is susceptible to early invades from the opposing jungler. He is also incredibly reliant on the Crest of Insight buff, which can especially hinder his clear times should he lose the buff.
seems to be oppressive during early game when laning against certain champions, he is actually easy to counter on top lane (most ranged champions will give him a hard time). Examples include , who has his own movement speed boost and can harass from a safe distance; , who has powerful slows and can prevent Hecarim from ever being able to engage; and , whose can slow and also has powerful sustained damage.
- Other champions who can beat Hecarim on laning are duelists, as Hecarim is a poor duelist by himself. , , and AD are examples of duelists who are capable of beating during the laning phase and are able to 1v1 him at most stages of the game.
- can beat fairly well due to his which is a powerful slow. also stacks a lot of armor, which will give a very hard time. also has his own engage ultimate to counter . However, keep in mind that is immune to CC during .
- can both slow Hecarim with his and has better 1v1 potential with his isolated . He can also dodge by using .
By using the champions who counter Hecarim and the LoL Hecarim counter tips above, you can now develop a strategy to help you, as a summoner, become an effective counter to Hecarim players.