Ekko is a versatile champion that excels in mid or top lane. He can also play the role of a jungler. At times, some summoners opt to play him bot lane. Wherever you meet him, here are some tips to effectively counter Ekko.
Best Ekko Counters
- Cho’ Gath
- Xin Zhao
Ekko Counter Picks
Now that you know who counters Ekko, you can finally counter pick Ekko in any matchup. Let’s take you through some tips on how to use a few of these champions who are counters to Ekko. After, there is a general section explaining how to use any LoL champion as counters for Ekko. After all, if you know how to play against Ekko, you can play safely and effectively to defeat Ekko in a lane.
Don’t use LeBlanc’s dash to poke past level 3. Once you’re level six, poke him down with your Q+W, and make sure your ult is off cooldown in case he engages. He barely needs AP to instantly win a 1v1. Chain him if he dashes to you, late game LeBlanc deals more burst.
Ekko excels at sudden melee engages, and this is especially effective against squishy mages who can’t trade back enough damage so quickly. Diana is the opposite: when Ekko engages, use your shield and fight out the fight. Ekko will take more damage than he can dish out.
Tips For Playing Against Ekko
- To combat Ekko’s healing, which he gets from his ult, ignite him the moment he uses it to reduce the healing effect.
- In lane, while Ekko’s Timewinder is on cooldown, he is very vulnerable to poke/all-in, since all he will have is a small dash to escape. Try to get close and poke him if he misses it, but if he lands it then wait for the passive stacks to wear off.
- Ekko’s Timewinder does more damage on the way back, so try your best to dodge it when it comes back.
- It is a good idea to pick champs who can stun or silence him from before he can use his ult. This way, if he is low health, you can kill him easier.
- Being in a group or clunking together is very dangerous especially given that Ekko has 3 Skills that have AoE Effects or Damage.
- Don’t dive an Ekko, even if he doesn’t have his ult (R) up, don’t try to dive him. Ekko can outplay with his W Q E combo. If you do dive him, make sure to dodge his W’s stun and kill him before he uses Q to dodge some damage and then get out of the turret’s range.
- Like many other assassins, Ekko is vulnerable to crowd control. Snaring or stunning Ekko before he can deal heavy damage can heavily cripple his potential in team fights.
- After using Phase Dive, Ekko is even more vulnerable to heavy CC and huge bursts. This situation will likely cause most Ekko players to burn Chronobreak just to survive the incoming burst damage.
- While Ekko is a threat on his own, His kit is to primarily for 1v1 dueling and start fights. Dodging Timewinder, or Parallel Convergence can prevent Ekko from closing in on you easily.
- Baiting Ekko in using his Parallel Convergence into heavy ambushes can be a good strategy. His stun and shield are on a long cooldown and your team can close up on him and kill him.
- When Ekko is retreating with low health and his hologram is following him, be wary. It means his Chronobreak is available and he can instantly turn the fight around with its healing and heavy AP damage.
- When your team is chasing a low health Ekko, If you notice Chronobreak is ready, Launch skill shots onto his hologram. Ekko players tend to do this rather than running away to attempt to turn the tables. It’s better if it is a heavy CC. Your team can catch up and kill him.
By using the champions who counter Ekko and the LoL Ekko counter tips above, you can now develop a strategy to help you, as a summoner, become an effective counter to Ekko players.