Darius Counter Tutorial: Here we talk about playing in a lane against Darius. Darius is a top lane champion (mainly) played aggressively due to his passive.
However, there are a few champions who serve well as a good Darius counter. In this article, we discuss how to effectively counter Darius while playing top lane.
Table of Contents
Health: 582.24 (+100 per level)
Attack Damage: 64 (+5 per level)
Attack Speed: 0.625 (+1% per level)
Movement Speed: 340
Health Regen: 10 (+0.95 per level)
Armor: 39 (+4 per level)
Magic Resist: 32.1 (+1.25 per level)
Darius aims his attacks strategically, causing his target to bleed. This effect stacks up to five times.
Enemies that reach max Hemorrhage cause Darius to gain Noxian Might, greatly increasing his damage.
Cost: 30/35/40/45/50 Mana
Darius winds up and swings his ax in a wide circle. Enemies struck by the blade take more damage than those struck by the handle. Darius heals based on enemy champions hit by the blade.
After a short delay, Darius swings his ax around himself, striking enemies in its path. Enemies hit by the ax's blade take 40/70/100/130/160 (+105% bonus Attack Damage) physical damage. Enemies hit by the handle take 35% damage (does not apply Hemorrhage).
Darius heals for 12% of his missing Health per enemy champion hit by the blade (max: 36%).
Crippling Strike (W)
Cost: 30 Mana
Darius's next attack strikes an enemy's crucial artery. As they bleed out, their Movement Speed is slowed.
Darius's next basic attack deals 0 physical damage and slows the target by 90% for 1 second. Crippling Strike refunds its Mana cost and 50% of its cooldown if it kills the target.
Cost: 45 Mana
Darius hones his ax, passively causing his physical damage to ignore a percentage of his target's Armor. When activated, Darius sweeps up his enemies with his
Passive: Darius gains 10/15/20/25/30% Armor Penetration.
Active: Pulls in all enemies in front of Darius and slows them by 40% for 1 second.
Noxian Guillotine (R)
Cost: 100/100/0 Mana
Darius leaps to an enemy champion and strikes a lethal blow, dealing true damage. This damage is increased for each stack of Hemorrhage on the target. If Noxian Guillotine is a killing blow, its cooldown is refreshed for a brief duration.
For each stack of Hemorrhage on the target, Noxian Guillotine deals an additional 20% damage.
Maximum Damage: 0If Noxian Guillotine kills the target, it may be re-cast at no cost within 20 seconds.
At rank 3, Noxian Guillotine unlocks - its cooldown resets entirely on kills and it no longer has a Mana cost.
Champions That Counter Darius
How To Play A Darius Counter
Now that you know who counters Darius, you can finally counter pick Darius in any matchup. Let's take you through some tips on how to use a few of these champions who are counters to Darius.
After, there is a general section explaining how to use any LoL champion as counters for Darius. After all, if you know how to play against Darius, you can play safely and effectively to defeat Darius in a lane.
- Kayle is strong against Darius because of her ult. You do have to be a bit careful pre-6 due to
- But, by level 6 there should be nothing Darius can do. His ult has a long cast animation and you can ult yourself to block the damage.
- Kayle also outranges Darius when using her abilities.
Play safe early game by poking with an automatic attack, activate E and get off a few more autos if possible.
Make sure you hit Darius with your E then retreat and repeat until you can all in or until he recalls. It's a good idea to start with Blade of the Ruined King or Triforce.
- Harass! Keep Harassing! Harass! Darius does not have a gap closer. Hence, you can kite him while he tries to E you. Keep your distance.
- Let your E eat away at his health with the damage over time.
- Don't get caught by him but if you do, use Q (Teemo's blind). It helps because he can't stack his passive from his auto attack or W.
- Teemo's W also gives you a speed boost to escape.
Tips For Playing Against Darius
- Pay attention to his Apprehend ability. Try to stay out of its range. Once he uses it and it is on cooldown, he is incredibly easy to kite.
- Try to deny him a reset on his ultimate with a shield/heal. This significantly lowers his damage output in a team fight.
- Always be mindful of his passive Hemorrhage. Sustaining multiple stacks potentially doubles the true damage dealt by Noxian Guillotine, his ultimate.
- After the circle of his Q's channeling appears, it's safer to stay directly near him.
- Receiving a hit within the interior of the circle deals less damage and does not apply Haemorrhage.
By using the champions who counter Darius and the League of Legends Darius counter tips above, you can now develop a strategy to help you, as a summoner, become an effective Darius counter.
You might also like:
- Malphite Counters: How To Counter Pick Malphite
- Shen Counters: How To Counter Pick Shen
- Anivia Counters: How To Counter Pick Anivia
- Lux Counters: How To Counter Pick Lux
- Tristana Counters: How To Counter Pick Tristana
- Dr. Mundo Counters: How To Counter Pick Dr. Mundo
- Alistar Counters: How To Counter Pick Alistar
More Darius Counter Tips
Jax Vs Darius
Let's expand a bit on the Jax vs Darius top lane matchup. Jax has a starting speed of 350 while Darius starts out at 340. It slight difference, however, Jax has the advantage as the game progresses in terms of movement speed.
As Jax and Darius are both melee champions, you have to get in close to deal your damage. Once Darius misses his (E), you can go in and deal some damage and safely retreat. For example, once Darius misses Apprehend, Jax then enables Empower and Leap Strike before going in with Counter-Strike.
Remember that the combo stuns Darius for about a second. It also blocks incoming damage for a while. Once you get off a few auto-attacks, you can use Leap Strike to escape or commit to the trade if you feel that you can defeat Darius.
However, remember that Leap Strike has a 6-second cooldown from the initial landing. When you combine this with the 2-second Counter-Strike and 1-second stun you only have to wait 3 seconds before it’s available again.
If Darius manages to catch you with Apprehend you can also escape by Leap Striking to a nearby minion or ward. And, Apprehend only slows down movement speed by 90% for 1 second, it does not affect other gap closing abilities.
If you happen to go face to face with Darius then remember to use Jax's ultimate to boost your defenses. Jax's ult increases his bonus armor and magic resist.
You might also want to read:
- Sejuani Counters: How To Counter Pick Sejuani
- Elise Counters: How To Counter Pick Elise
- Caitlyn Counters: How To Counter Pick Caitlyn
Darius Vs Renekton
Renekon, though not mentioned on the list above, is another good Darius counter to use. However, most players find Renekton difficult to play. Here's the thing, once you learn Renekton's moves, you can beat Darius.
Firstly, you need to farm until you have 50+ fury. Once you do, slice in, Q and E Darius. Then quickly dice out. Using this combo wisely lets you win trades vs Darius.
However, be sure to get away immediately as Darius out damages you if he apprehends then attacks during your getaway.
Likewise, you can take a more aggressive route early game to beat Darius. Use Renekton'ss E to stay inside of the inner circle of Darius' Q in trades.
Renekton outtrades him because he can't get his Passive stacks on you if you stay in the inner circle and he also won't heal himself.
- Who Is A Good Jinx Counter?
- What Champion Is A Rumble Counter?
- Who Are Good Diana Counters?
- Top Fizz Counters For Mid Lane.