Here we talk about playing in a lane against Darius. Darius is a top lane champion (mainly) played aggressively due to his passive. However, there are a few champions who serve well as Darius counters. In this article, we discuss how to effectively counter Darius while playing top lane.
Table of Contents
Best Darius Counters
Darius Counter Picks
Now that you know who counters Darius, you can finally counter pick Darius in any matchup. Let's take you through some tips on how to use a few of these champions who are counters to Darius. After, there is a general section explaining how to use any LoL champion as counters for Darius. After all, if you know how to play against Darius, you can play safely and effectively to defeat Darius in a lane.
- Kayle is strong against Darius because of her ult. You do have to be a bit careful pre-6 due to jungler ganks. But by level 6 there should be nothing Darius can do. His ult has a long cast animation and you can ult yourself to block the damage.
- Kayle also outranges Darius when using her abilities.
Play safe early game by poking with an automatic attack, activate E and get off a few more autos if possible. Make sure you hit him with your E then retreat and repeat until you can all in or until he recalls. It's a good idea to start with Blade of the Ruined King or Triforce.
- Harass! Keep Harassing! Harass! Darius does not have a gap closer. Hence, you can kite him while he tries to E you. Keep your distance.
- Let your E eat away at his health with the damage over time.
- Don't get caught by him but if you do, use Q (your blind). It helps because he can't stack his passive from his auto attack or W. Your W also gives you a speed boost to escape.
Tips For Playing Against Darius
- Pay attention to his Apprehend ability. Try to stay out of its range. Once he uses it and it is on cooldown, he is incredibly easy to kite.
- Try to deny him a reset on his ultimate with a shield/heal. This significantly lowers his damage output in a team fight.
- Always be mindful of his passive Hemorrhage. Sustaining multiple stacks potentially doubles the true damage dealt by Noxian Guillotine, his ultimate.
- After the circle of his Q's channeling appears, it's safer to stay directly near him. Receiving a hit within the interior of the circle deals less damage and does not apply Haemorrhage.
By using the champions who counter Darius and the LoL Darius counter tips above, you can now develop a strategy to help you, as a summoner, become an effective counter to Darius players. Do you know of any other Darius counters or counter plays/tips?
You might also like:
- Malphite Counters: How To Counter Pick Malphite
- Shen Counters: How To Counter Pick Shen
- Anivia Counters: How To Counter Pick Anivia
- Lux Counters: How To Counter Pick Lux
- Tristana Counters: How To Counter Pick Tristana
- Dr. Mundo Counters: How To Counter Pick Dr. Mundo
- Alistar Counters: How To Counter Pick Alistar
Question And Answer Section
Jax Vs Darius
Let's expand a bit on the Jax vs Darius top lane matchup. Jax has a starting speed of 350 while Darius starts out at 340. It slight difference, however, Jax has the advantage as the game progresses in terms of movement speed.
As Jax and Darius are both melee champions, you have to get in close to deal your damage. Once Darius misses his gap closer, you can go in and deal some damage and safely retreat. For example, once Darius misses Apprehend, Jax then enables Empower and Leap Strike before going in with Counter-Strike.
Remember that the combo stuns Darius for about a second. It also blocks incoming damage for a while. Once you get off a few auto-attacks, you can use Leap Strike to escape or commit to the trade if you feel that you can defeat Darius.
However, remember that Leap Strike has a 6-second cooldown from the initial landing. When you combine this with the 2-second Counter-Strike and 1-second stun you only have to wait 3 seconds before it’s available again.
If Darius manages to catch you with Apprehend you can also escape by Leap Striking to a nearby minion or ward. And, Apprehend only slows down movement speed by 90% for 1 second, it does not affect other gap closing abilities.
If you happen to go face to face with Darius then remember to use your ultimate to boost your defenses. Jax's ult increases his bonus armor and magic resist. Check out the video below to gain some pointers (Jax wins the lane).
You might also want to read:
- Sejuani Counters: How To Counter Pick Sejuani
- Elise Counters: How To Counter Pick Elise
- Caitlyn Counters: How To Counter Pick Caitlyn
Darius Vs Renekton
Renekon, though not mentioned on the list above, is another of the good Darius counters to use. However, most players find Renekton difficult to play. Here's the thing, once you have Renekton's moves learned, you can beat Darius.
Firstly, you need to be farming until you have 50+ fury. Once you do, slice in, Q and E Darius. Then quickly dice out. Using this combo wisely lets you win trades vs Darius. However, be sure to get away immediately as Darius out damages you if he apprehends then attacks during your getaway.
Likewise, you can take a more aggressive route early game to beat Darius. Use Renekton'ss E to stay inside of the inner circle of Darius' Q in trades. Renekton outtrades him because he can't get his Passive stacks on you if you stay in the inner circle and he also won't heal himself.
- Who Is A Good Jinx Counter?
- What Champion Is A Rumble Counter?
- Who Are Good Diana Counters?
- Top Fizz Counters For Mid Lane.