Canon M5 vs Nikon D3400: This digital camera comparison pits the Canon M5 vs the Nikon D3400. A Semi-Pro Mirrorless cameras by Canon and an Entry-Level DSLR by Nikon. Both the Nikon D3400 and Canon M5 cameras have 24.0MP APS-C sensors. Let’s have a brief look at the main features of Canon M5 and Canon M5.
Canon M5 vs Nikon D3400 Specs
|Sensor Format||APS-C||APS-C (DX)|
|Image Resolution||6000 x 4000||6000 x 4000|
|Body Image Stabilization||Yes (Movie only)||No|
|Lens Mount||Canon EF-M||Nikon FX/DX|
|ISO||100 – 25,600||100 – 25,600|
|AF Points||49 Hybrid||11|
|Cross-type AF Points||Dual Pixel AF||1|
|LCD||3.2″ – Articulating||3.0″ – Fixed|
|LCD Resolution||1,620,000 dots||921,600 dots|
|Top LCD Display||No||No|
|Viewfinder Type||EVF (2.36M)||Optical|
|Video Resolution||1920×1080 (60/50/30/25/24p||1920×1080 (60/50/30/25/24p|
|1280×720 (60/50p)||1280×720 (60/50p)|
|Memory Card Type||SD||SD|
|Dual Card Slots||No||No|
|SD UHS Support||UHS-I||UHS-I|
|Fastest Shutter Speed||1/4000||1/4000|
|Slowest Shutter Speed||30″||30″|
|JPEG Buffer Size||27||100|
|RAW Buffer Size||18||12|
|Max Flash Sync Speed||1/200||1/200|
|USB Type||USB 2.0||USB 2.0|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||295 shots||1200 shots|
|Battery Included||Yes (LP-E17)||Yes (EN-EL14a)|
|Weight||15.0 oz (427g)||15.17 oz (430g)|
|Size||4.6 x 3.5 x 2.4″||4.9 x 3.9 x 3.0″|
Nikon D3400 vs Canon M5 Common Features
|Bluetooth Connection||Yes vs Yes||Connect to other devices via Bluetooth|
|Built-in Flash||Yes vs Yes||Useful in low-light|
|External Flash Shoe||Yes vs Yes||Better for flash photography|
|Viewfinder||Yes (Electronic) vs Yes (Optical)||Better framing and control|
|RAW Support||Yes vs Yes||Better image quality|
|Face Detection Focus||Yes vs Yes||Very handy for portraits|
|Max Resolution||24 MP vs 24 MP||Bigger prints and more details|
|Smartphone Remote Control||Yes vs Yes||Remote control your camera with a smartphone|
Canon M5 vs Nikon D3400 Size Comparison
The Canon M5 is the smaller of the two cameras. Its body is 8mm narrower, 9mm shorter and 15mm thinner than Nikon D3400. With regard to weight, the Nikon D3400 is 32g lighter than the Canon M5. However, the weight difference is hardly significant in this case.
On the bright side, both cameras have an APS-C sensor. Hence, the lenses they use are practically the same. So, when factoring in the overall weight, this is not an issue.
Canon M5 vs Nikon D3400 Sensor Comparison
Both the Canon M5 and Nikon D3400 have APS-C sized 24.0 MP resolution sensors. So, sensor size and resolution should not influence your choice between the two cameras.
As both the Nikon D3400 and Canon M5 have the same sensor sizes, they provide a good level of control over the depth of field when used with same focal length and aperture. However, the Nikon D3400 has a 1.1x larger sensor area than Canon M5. Larger sensors give you more control over the depth of field and blurry background compared to the smaller sensor when shot in same focal length and aperture.
Canon M5 Advantages Over Nikon D3400
|Wireless Connection||Built-In vs No||Better connectivity|
|Articulating Screen||Yes vs No||Flexible shooting positions|
|Touch Screen||Yes vs No||Easy control of camera functions|
|Number of Focus Points||49 vs 11||38 more focus points|
|LCD Screen Size||3.2″ vs 3″||0.2 inches larger display|
|LCD Screen Resolution||1.620k dots vs 921k dots||75% higher resolution screen|
|Viewfinder Coverage||100% vs 95%||More accurate viewfinder|
|Continuous Shooting||9.0fps vs 5.0fps||4 fps faster|
|Microphone Port||Yes vs No||High-quality audio recording option|
|Timelapse Recording||Yes vs No||creative shooting|
|AE Bracketing||Yes vs No||Useful for tough lighting conditions and HDR|
|NFC Connection||Yes vs No||Easy wireless connectivity with compatible devices|
|Digital video stabilization||Yes vs No||Stabilizes your videos in-camera|
Key reasons to choose the Canon M5 over the Nikon D3400:
- Body Image Stabilization – It has body image stabilization but it only works in video.
- AF Points – 49 vs 11
- Continuous mode – 7fps vs 5fps. More is better for sports and wildlife since you have more chances of getting a tack sharp shot.
- LCD – 3.2″ vs 3.0″ and it’s articulated.
- LCD Resolution – Higher resolution.
- Touchscreen Support
- Focus Peaking – Very useful for seeing if your subject is in focus (both photo and video).
- Viewfinder Coverage – 100% vs 95%.
- Microphone Jack – If you’re going to record videos where audio quality is important, a microphone jack is super helpful.
- RAW Buffer Size – 18 vs 12.
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- Built-in NFC
- Size – The Canon M5 is noticeably smaller.
Video: Canon M5 Hands-on Review
Canon’s latest mirrorless camera promises to be an 80D in a smaller package. With 1080p and a reasonable 24-megapixels, is it another flop or does the Dual Pixel Autofocus save the day? Watch as Kai takes you through the pros and cons.
Nikon D3400 Advantages Over Canon M5
|Battery Life||1200 shotsvs295 shots||905 more frames with a single charge|
|Weight||395 gvs427 g||32 g lighter|
|Flash Coverage||12.0mvs5.0m||7m longer range|
|Sensor Pixel Area||15.28µm2vs13.84µm2||10% larger pixel area|
Key reasons why you might choose the Nikon D3400 over the Canon M5:
- AA Filter – The Nikon D3400 has no AA filter.
- JPEG Buffer Size – 100 vs 27. Useful for long bursts.
- Battery Life – 1200 shots vs 295 shots.
Video: Nikon D3400 Field Test and Review
You Might Also Like
- Canon M5 vs Nikon D3300: A Complete Comparison
- Canon M5 vs Nikon D7100: A Complete Comparison
- Canon M5 vs Nikon D5500: A Complete Comparison
- Canon M5 vs Nikon D7200: A Complete Comparison
- Canon M5 vs Nikon D5600: A Complete Comparison
- Canon M5 vs Sony A6500: A Detailed Comparison
- Canon M5 vs Fujifilm X-T20: A Detailed Comparison
- Canon M5 vs Canon M6: A Complete Comparison
- Canon M5 vs Fujifilm X-T2: A Detailed Comparison
- Canon M5 vs Fujifilm X-Pro2: A Detailed Comparison
- Canon M5 vs Olympus E-M5 II: A Complete Comparison
- Canon M5 vs Pentax KP: A Detailed Comparison
- Canon M5 vs Olympus E-M10 II: A Detailed Comparison
- Canon M5 vs Pentax 3-K II: A Detailed Comparison
- Nikon D7200 vs Sony A6300: A Complete Comparison
- Nikon D750 vs Panasonic GH5: A Complete Comparison